Aruba & ProVision-based
1748156 Members
4186 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

5406zl rack mounting bracket direction - can they be reversed?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aussie_Steve
Occasional Advisor

5406zl rack mounting bracket direction - can they be reversed?

I have just bought a pair of 5406zl switches and am puzzled that the 19" rack mounting kit that comes with it (5069-8561) is shown in the instructions to have the brackets fitted in a way that several centimetres of the chassis sticks out like a sore thumb beyond the rack front post's mounting plane. Unlike everything else that is fairly much in line with each other at the front panel, the 5406 switch will make it difficult to get to the items immediately above and below it if I mount it the way the documentation suggests. Does anyone know of any reason the side mounting brackets cannot be reversed so that the front of the switch is fairly close to being in line with everything else in the rack? Doing so would move the centre of gravity further back and put a little more torsion on the mounitng surface but I have other devices that are heavier that cope fine. I do not seem to be able to find any postings on the net from others who wonder this and surely not everyone is happy mounting the switch in a rack in this crazy jutting out position! Thanks in advance for any tips.

PS: I have also noticed that there is no reference to "Procurve" anywhere on the case or modules despite all the literature showing it... just saying.

4 REPLIES 4
Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: 5406zl rack mounting bracket direction - can they be reversed?

Absolutely. We have had to do this on occasion due to the depth of the enclosure. Works fine.

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

HP dropped the Procurve brand back in 2010, when they had completed the 3Com acquisition.

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

That's exactly how I mount my 5400s.

Mounting them the other way, with the switch pushed forward out of the rack might be useful if your rack isn't deep enough or if there is some other obstruction.

Aussie_Steve
Occasional Advisor

Thanks... those tiny screws that attach the rack wings to the chassis seem to be way undersize but I would assume they must work otherwise there'd be a lot of claims against failure. t fits much more appropriately when the wings are on backwards.