New Discussion юеВ

6120XG Procurve Bade Switch + Unsupported XCVR

SOLVED
Go to solution
Juancho1986CR
Advisor

6120XG Procurve Bade Switch + Unsupported XCVR

Hi,

We have 4 6120XG switches installed in an enclosure server on which we are trying to use some J9150A 10G SR SFP+ however as per the "show tech transceivers" they are unsupported, the strange thing is that as per the 6120XG datasheet the J9150A should be supported without any problem. We are wondering if there is some restriction or something that needs to be executed in the switch in order to recognize the SFP? A bug or an OS upgrade should be necessary?

Datasheet:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04140206.pdf?ver=6

Show output:

6120XG_show.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
akg7
HPE Pro

Re: 6120XG Procurve Bade Switch + Unsupported XCVR

Hello @Juancho1986CR ,

Can you share the device product number 'JXXXXX' also?

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hi @Juancho1986CR !

Seems like you hit this issue - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c02015299

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Juancho1986CR
Advisor

Hi Akg,

The product number of the blade switch? It is 516733-B21.

Juancho1986CR
Advisor

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the information, but it seems that bug is fixed in the current version the switches are running (Z.14.56).

Regards,

Ivan_B
HPE Pro
Solution

I am afraid you didn't understand what the bug was. In older s/w revisions it was 6120G/XG software bug that was changing the values encoded on the ProCurve transceiver. After such interaction transceiver gets damaged and can't be recovered. So the s/w upgrade of the switch just prevents this from happening, but can't recover already damaged transceivers. Again, it is just a hypothesis, maybe in your case the situation is different and those transceivers were never used in old blade switches, I simply don't know. But if you are sure this doesn't apply, then your transceivers may be non-genuine. In all cases I suggest you to open a case with Support - they can verify genuinity of your transceivers and if they are genuine and under warranty you will get working ones as a replacement.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Juancho1986CR
Advisor

Hi Ivan,

I got your point now, however these XCVRs are brand new (they have never been used before). I willfollow your suggestion and will open a case with the TAC.

Thanks!