108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

6600-24XG and non-HP DAC

SOLVED
Go to solution
usgsmeis
Frequent Visitor

6600-24XG and non-HP DAC

Has anyone out there successfully used a 6600-24XG with a non-HP SFP+ DAC?

Procurve support has basically told me that it should work if the DAC are compatible with the MSA, but that it is obviously unsupported, and they won't test or name any brands that might work. The docs are more or less equally neutral on the topic.

I'm hoping that someone out there has some experience before I purchase $1000 worth of cables. I'm looking for switch-to-nic connections, not switch-to-switch.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
usgsmeis
Frequent Visitor

Re: 6600-24XG and non-HP DAC

Anyone out there with any input? HP ProCurve support has told me several times now that they do NOT lock down the SFPs to specific vendors.

However, I am unable to find ANY 3rd party DACs that will work (all of which are apparently compliant with the MSA).

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: 6600-24XG and non-HP DAC

The ONLY cables that work in the ProCurve switches are ProCurve cables. Third party cables DO NOT work.

These are the ProCurve SFP+ DAC part numbers - note that they all start with J.

HP X242 SFP+ SFP+ 1 m Direct Attach Cable J9281B
HP X242 SFP+ SFP+ 3 m Direct Attach Cable J9283B
HP X242 SFP+ SFP+ 7 m Direct Attach Cable J9285B
HP X242 SFP+ to SFP+ 10m Direct Attach Copper Cable J9286B
HP X242 SFP+ to SFP+ 15m Direct Attach Copper Cable J9287B

(There are also some SFP+ to XFP DACs available.)

The other HP/H3C cables (for HP servers, storage, Comware switches) do not have J part numbers and also do not work.

Support are incorrect - all SFP and SFP+ options require the encrypted ProCurve vendor ID. The newer models (from about 4 years ago?) required the version 2 encrypted vendor ID. This is still compliant with the MSA (lots of vendors do the same thing). [The Comware switches do not require the correct vendor ID, they work with other vendor parts but they still log an error.]