1752584 Members
4435 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Amber light blinking on LINK LED SFP+ER ports

alpha_FIVE5
Occasional Visitor

Amber light blinking on LINK LED SFP+ER ports

Looking for some hints in regard to Amber light blinking on LINK LED of 2x SFP+ER ports uplink.  

5400rZl  with modules for fibre and ethernet ports

Basically, there were no reportings of strange performance issue or network connectivity issue. even when these LINK LED blinking in amber light while the rest of the module SFP+ER ports have a solid green LINK LED. There are no additional abnormal blinking light that may indicate fualt in the module or self test. 

Looking both at the CLI and web status, these transceivers are working normally.

Before I reseat these transceivers, is there any other suggestion in determining the case of the LINK LED changed from  solid green to blinking amber light ?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

do

show interfaces config for B3 & B4

show interface brief

show interface port B3 & B4 (I think this is the one to give you port counters)

show tech transceivers

alpha_FIVE5
Occasional Visitor

port counters seemed normal (no errors) for both ports. Not sure if there are other things I may have overlooked. 

As for the the last command, which was helpful, show tech transceiver. I recieved the following information: any idea?

The following transceivers have extra information:
Port # Message
-------- -------------------------------------
Port B3 Only 2 J9153A transceivers are supported in this module.
The transceiver in port B3 has been disabled.
Please remove this transceiver.
Port B4 Only 2 J9153A transceivers are supported in this module.
The transceiver in port B4 has been disabled.
Please remove this transceiver.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Pretty strange, what is your current running software version (show system, show version, show flash)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

That's interesting....

I've used that module in a v2 5400 chassis and had 8x J9150 in it all operational, in pretty much all slots, but maybe not in A or B (I often had copper up there).
I've also used that module with a bunch of non-HP LR CWDM transceivers in it (maybe not 8 all in the same module, but I would have noticed if there was a limit of 2), although I forgot whether they were coded as J9153 or something else.

On the face of it, it really does seem to be telling you that there is some kind of limit being applied.

Apart from reading the manuals, one of the first things I would do is test that same module/transceiver configuration/load, but in a different slot, especially in the left hand side.
I seem to remember the v3 chassis had some restrictions in relation to some modules (not those v2 8x 10Gb SFP modules though) only working in the left hand side.

And the other thing I would read up on - because I have forgotten - is what the behaviour is of a v3 chassis that has v2 modules in it. I don't recall this was as restrictive as putting v1 modules in v2 chassis, but there could be something there I've forgotten.

alpha_FIVE5
Occasional Visitor

Thanks everyone for being tentative to this issue. 

Here's a little information about the software and rom version

Software revision : KB.16.02.0018 
ROM Version : KB.16.01.0006

As for testing the transceiver at a different slot, I might not be able to do without some schedule downtime.

I sent a tech log to one of the HP support engineer and they said they were not awared of this issue and will have to do some confirmation and testing at their lab. Considering that everything is operational as normal, I will have to wait and see. Will keep everyone updated.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

That's more and more intriguing considering that the "any module on any slot" rule [*] should apply in your specific scenario.

[*] at least for v2 zl and v3 zl2 modules on Aruba 5400R zl2.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner