4852 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Aruba 2530 - How to tag LACP with VLAN

wolfandy
Frequent Visitor

Aruba 2530 - How to tag LACP with VLAN

Hi all

I have an Aruba 2530 in my home network, which I want to connect to my central switch (Unifi US-16).. Router is a pfSense with a default LAN and an additional VLAN 'IoT' to separate from IoT devices from the rest of my network.

I am running 2 cables between the switches for additional bandwidth. On the Unifi, 'Aggregate' is enabled for the relevant ports (active LACP), the default LAN is untagged, and the VLAN tagged. These settings work successfully with an HP 1820 with a dynamic LACP created and tagged with the VLAN.

I am unable to create a LACP on the Aruba 2530 and tag it with the VLAN - so I'm looking for help.

I can create the LACP via CLI and successfully establish a connection to the Unifi. When quering 'show lacp' on the 2530, the relevant ports are listed under Trunk Group as 'Dyn1', Port Status 'Up', Partner 'Yes', and LACP Status 'Success'. All devices connected to the 2530 successfully connect to the default LAN.

But how do I now tag 'Dyn1' with my VLAN? I neither am able to do so via CLI or GUI.

If I connect a static trunk 'Trk1' via the GUI, I am able to tag it with the VLAN - however the connection to the Unifi then does not work at all (neither for default LAN nor VLAN).

Does anyone have any help on how I can get this to work?

4 REPLIES 4
akg7
HPE Pro

Re: Aruba 2530 - How to tag LACP with VLAN

Hello,

I bllieve you are using cli, can you try below:

trunk <port number> Trk1 LACP

vlan <vlan number>

name <description>

untagged <untagg the port or make access port>

ip address <define ip address with mask>

tagged <define lacp name for eg Trk1>

exit

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi @wolfandy delete the dyn1 Port Trunking (it's not "Dynamic" as you expect) and create a new Trk1 with lacp as option (as example ports x and y aggregated together with LACP forming the logical interface trk1):

trunk ethernet x,y trk1 lacp

and you're go.

Then apply VLAN tagging/untagging as needed DIRECTLY (and only) on the trk1 logical interface as suggested by @akg7 .

Check the VLAN membership of trk1 interface with:

show vlan port ethernet trk1 details

The VLAN membership of the trk1 interface should match the VLAN membership of the interface (ports aggregation) you configured on the Unifi US-16 switch.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
wolfandy
Frequent Visitor

Thanks a lot, @parnassus and @akg7 

I was not aware of the possibility of creating a trunk (Trk1) with LACP - only found the dynamic one in the manual

Am away on business at the moment but will try when back home next week

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi @wolfandy, read Chapter 5 "Port Trunking" on the Aruba 2530 Management andConfiguration Guide for ArubaOS-Switch 16.10: you will discover that Dynamic type Trunk Groups you were playing with (when you add the "lacp active" option to the trunk command) are dynamic in a sense that falsely drives you to use them instead of the typical Static type Trunk Groups (a Static type Trunk Group - despite the "Static" in the name - can be (a) Non-Protocol or type "trunk" or (b) LACP IEEE 802.3ad or type "lacp"). Generally one would use the trunk/lacp Static Trunk Groups (TrkX logical interfaces are created)...not the lacp active Trunk Groups (DynX logical interfaces are created).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner