1753967 Members
7319 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Aruba-2930F-48G-PoEP-4SFPP Excessive Link State Errors

MitchT
Occasional Contributor

Aruba-2930F-48G-PoEP-4SFPP Excessive Link State Errors

Hi all. I have an aruba switch and I have a bunch of POE security cameras on it, plus a few other devices, but one camera has been giving me errors and the excessive link state transitions are causing the switch to disable the port. This usually occurs whenever I do something with the camera, update the firmware was the last reason. I had to reboot it and it never comes back up, and the log shows the excessive link state errors.

This will usually last for a few days, then the camera starts working and will work until another even causes me to reboot the camera or otherwise disrupt the power which causes a reboot which starts the process all over.

It used to work constantly, I am not sure what has caused this to start happening. I thought it was the old camera so I got a new one, same issue and the camera that is there works fine with other cables on different pots. The drop that runs to that location is the only one I have, so it might just be a cable going bad, but it is weird that it will start working after a period of time.

Is there anything I can do, short of getting another cable ran, to get it so that port ignores the link state errors and allows me to use that cable for a while longer? I am assuming it is the cable as I have tested everything else out and they work seperately.

LOG:

info
11/29/2020, 05:25:32 PM

Ports
port 34 is now off-line

info
11/29/2020, 05:25:31 PM

Ports
port 34 is Blocked by STP

info
11/29/2020, 05:25:29 PM

Ports
port 34 is now off-line

warning
11/29/2020, 05:25:29 PM

FFI
port 34-Excessive link state transitions
2 REPLIES 2
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Re: Aruba-2930F-48G-PoEP-4SFPP Excessive Link State Errors

Hello @MitchT 

You are writing that the switch is disabling the port. The switch will only do this if you have configured the feature fault-finder with an action of disable. To confirm this please check if you have lines starting with "fault-finder" in your config file listing an action of disable. Here is how a config line could look like

switch(config)# fault-finder link-flap sensitivity high action warn-and-disable

Alternatively you can use the command show fault-finder

If you have indeed such entries you can change the values for action, for example configuring only warn without disable. Or change the sensitivity to low. This will make sure that the port is not blocked by the feature.

If you see that the action for all types of faults is only warn, then this means that the switch is not blocking the port. The port is simply going down because it doesnt link.

The switch offers cable diagnostics which may be helpful to confirm if there is indeed an issue with the port.

HP-Switch(config)# test cable-diagnostics <port-list>

If the cable is indeed faulty, it may not be possible to mitigate the effects for the connecion.

I see a message about STP blocking the port. You can configure the ports to be an admin-edge-port. This will prevent unnecessary blocking this port by STP in order to check the STP role. The port should transition immediately to forwarding state when the link comes up

HP-Switch(config)# spanning-tree 34 admin-edge-port

Another thing that can be tried is changing the speed-duplex settings if you suspect that the auto-negotiation is not working properly. If you have a 1000Mbps connection, maybe you test what happens when you limit it to 100Mbps auto, (auto-100). Keep in mind that changing the duplex setting on the switch should go hand in hand with changing it on the end device. Otherwise you can create a duplex mismatch and more issues.

I dont see PoE messages and you didnt mention PoE. Should it mean that the camera is not powered by PoE? If it is PoE, maybe you can check if you have log messages indicating PoE problems for this port. You can check with show power-over-ethernet if you have enough power budget for all connected devices. show power-over-ethernet 34 will provide detailed information about port 34.

Maybe you can share here the outputs of show interface 34 and show running-config interface 34, so we can check for possible issues.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

MitchT
Occasional Contributor

Re: Aruba-2930F-48G-PoEP-4SFPP Excessive Link State Errors

Thank you! Modifying the Fault-Finder setting and the STP got me back up and running. I had to enable the port since it had been disabled by one of them, but I am back up and running, so it's all good until I get the cable replaced.

Thank you for your detailed and helpful post, very informative.