108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Aruba 2930F Vlans

SOLVED
Go to solution
RandyAncom
Occasional Contributor

Aruba 2930F Vlans

I'm not very technical with setting up switches.  I have an Aruba 2930F 8-port switch (Qty 2).  I want to create 3 Vlan's (VLAN2  VLAN3  VLAN4).  I want to assign ports 1 and 2 for VAN2, ports 3 and 4 for VLAN3, ports 5 and 6 VLAN 4.  This leaves ports 7 and 8 available.  I want/need to use either port 7 or 8 to be my single ethernet connection to carry these VLAN's to a ethernet-to-fiber convertor box for connection to another location to ethernet-to-fiber convertor which will connect to a 2930F at the far end, so the VLAN's will be available there.  Is this do-able?  I've tried tagging and untagging ports 1-8 on one of the switches and testing by pinging between ports from my laptop to another PC, but I cannot seem to figure out what my tagging and untagging should be setup as.  Do I need an ethernet SFP module to tie all of the ports/VLAN's to a single ethernet cable as opposed to just using port 7 or 8?  Which ports should be tagged or untagged accordingly? Also the customer says they need QinQ tunneling turned on.  Is there much involved to do this?  I am using the "menu" feature for configuring (not the CLI or browser).

6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Aruba 2930F Vlans

Hi! I'm not used to Web GUI...so I'll explain as CLI commands.

You need first to untag (where untag = made a particular interface untagged member of a specific VLAN) ports used to connect your hosts (indeed your hosts are VLAN unaware <- you just configure them with proper IP Addressing, no reference about VLAN tagging). Clearly I suppose you already created involved VLANs.

So in config mode:

vlan 2

once into vlan 2 contex simply executing:

untag 1,2

will untag ports 1 and 2 with VLAN id 2.

exit (to exit the VLAN 2 contex)

write memory (to save)

To see the port's VLAN membership use this command: show vlan port ethernet <port-id> details

Repeat for other VLANs/ports.

Once done you should have:

VLAN 2 -> ports 1 and 2 untagged members of that VLAN.

VLAN 3 -> ports 3 and 4 untagged members of that VLAN.

VLAN 4 -> ports 5 and 6 untagged members of that VLAN.

Then you need to "uplink" this Aruba 2930F  to another Aruba 2930F: you need an uplink port and that uplink port needs to be able to carry all desired VLAN IDs (it means it should be tagged with all required VLANs). Here I suppose you aren't interested in transporting VLAN 1 so the uplink could just have VLAN 2, 3 and 4 tagged on both ports (near end and far end)...with no VLAN 1 presence at all.

To do that (example for port 8):

interface ethernet 8 tagged vlan 2,3,4

no interface ethernet 8 untagged vlan 1

check with show vlan port ethernet 8 details.

Repeat the same (or adjust) on the far end Aruba 2930F.

Now an Host A connected on port 1 or 2 untagged member of VLAN 2 (with proper IP set, ICMP Ping permitted by OS Firewall) of the near end Aruba 2930F should be able to successfully ping another Host B connected on port x untagged member of VLAN 2 (with proper IP set using the same subnet of Host A, ICMP Ping permitted by OS Firewall) on the far end Aruba 2930F...and vice-versa.

You have set a basic Layer 2 connectivity between your two Aruba 2930F (no IP routing involved).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
RandyAncom
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I will read your explanation in detail.  I am using the menu feature of the switch (not the Web GUI) but I can also use the CLI per your suggestions.  I will give it a try today.

RandyAncom
Occasional Contributor

I was able to get this to work as desired...found out I ultimately was testing it wrong.  I had initially setup one switch and after configuring it I was doing ping tests from the "uplink" port (7 or to any of the 3 VLAN ports.  The problem I found was I should have been using the uplink ports of both switches to connect both together and conducted my pinging tests from VLAN to VLAN between the two switches...and not between the uplink port and VLAN port(s) on one (only) switch.  Thank you for your input.

Now I'm investigating the QinQ feature and how to enable that, etc. 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Glad you fixed.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Mataz

Thanks for the feedbacks, I am new in Aruba and Good in Cisco,Ubuquity etc can you please advice on how do I create a voice vlan and data vlan on a 2930F PoE switch?

Regards

Mataz

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi! your request is a little bit Off Topic on this particular thread...but try by reading this brief guide:

Setting up a "voice" dedicated VLAN is pretty straightforward as you will read.

Generally, VoIP ports on the Switch should be configured to be tagged members of the "voice" VLAN id and, concurrently, to be untagged members of "data" VLAN id also, see here:

I'm not an HPE Employee