1753808 Members
7337 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Aruba 2930M Stacking failure

synysyny
Visitor

Aruba 2930M Stacking failure

I have two Aruba 2930m's that I am trying to stack. The configs are both default (no vlans, etherchannel, etc) Both switches had stacking disabled before starting. With stacking cables unplugged I enabled stacking on the top switch and set the top switch as stacking member 1 with a priority of 255, and the bottom switch as stacking member 2 with a priority of 192. I then plugged in the stacking cable and enabled stacking on the bottom switch. As the bottom switch reboots, the top switch sees that it is booting under >show stacking. Before the bottom switch finishes fully booting, it crashes, flashes a error code (attached), does a core dump, and reboots. It will continue to bootloop until I go to the ROM console and erase the configs.  This happens whether the top or bottom switch is set as master (both switches can replicate the same issue). The OS version on the switches is the same.

Let me know if you need any clarifications or have any advice.

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

So are you using two Aruba 2930M 2-port Stacking Modules (SKU: JL325A) with - at least - one (or, at most, two) Aruba Stacking Cable(s) between them?

Did you follow instructions on how set up the stack from Aruba 2930F/2930M Advanced Traffic Management Guide for ArubaOS-Switch 16.06? I mean exactly Chapter 9 "Stack Management". I hope you are using recent software version WC.16.05.0007 or, eventually, WC.16.04.0015.

Can you provide us exact ArubaOS-Switch version (paste the output of show version CLI command), actual running-configuration(s) (paste the output of show running-config CLI command) and stack status (paste the output of show stacking CLI command)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
synysyny
Visitor

I am using the aruba 2 Port stacking modules in both switches, with an aruba stacking cable. The software version on both switches is WC.16.04.0008. I followed the instructions under "deterministic method" page 227 in the traffic management guide. Is stacking not supported in that OS version?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@synysyny wrote: Is stacking not supported in that OS version?

Not that I'm aware of...I mean: Backplane Stacking is supported by default since it relies on Hardware modules (Stacking Modules and their interconnecting stacking cables) that need to be supported since begninng of their initial release as Switch hardware options.

Nevertheless - as a best practice - I suggest you to reset each Switch to default (by erasing its startup-configuration, save and reboot) and then update each defaulted Switch to latest WC.16.04.0015 available as of today (released few days ago on July, 2nd 2018) both on its primary and secondary partition, after that repeat the deterministic stacking procedure you already followed to see if the issue persist or not.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
synysyny
Visitor

Will try this and report back as soon as I can take the enviroment down, thanks for the assistance.