108788 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: Aruba 5400R zl2 Switch Series 5400 zl

SOLVED
Go to solution
MUHAMMAD RAHEEL LODHI_1
Frequent Advisor

Aruba 5400R zl2 Switch Series 5400 zl

I need backplane diagram of HP swtich 5400 zl and 5400R zl2. Please also advise do we need to connect uplink within 2 switch modules in the Switch chassis or can we configure this uplink from the backplane. 

Regards,

Raheel

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hello, why do you need "backplane diagrams" of Aruba 5400R zl2 and HP ProCurve 5400 zl Switch Series?

And...what do you exactly mean with "backplane diagrams" with regard to of Aruba 5400R zl2 and HP ProCurve 5400 zl Switch Series?

Both series have a modular design: that is, apart from the pre-installed Management Module, both series provides 6 or 12 open slots chassis (respectively on 5406 and 5412 models) named A, B, C, D, E and F for the 6 slots model and A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K and L for the 12 slots model.

Open slots should be equipped with various Modules types (refer to each Switch updated QuickSpecs to see the full list of supported modules); those modules - once installed on free chassis's slots - communicate through the internal backplane with the Management Module.

You can't connect "directly" to the backplane because the backplane is internal, only frontplane connections (AKA Modules' ports) are admitted.

QuickSpecs, Datasheet and Management and Configuration Guides will explain/show you in detail what I wrote above.

Said so, if you have an uplink (made of one or more physical links)...it should be terminated into the relevant Module's port or distributed to ports that belongs to different Modules (for redudancy) if that is required by your implementation.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
MUHAMMAD RAHEEL LODHI_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your response, what I want to know if the switches in every module is directly connected with each other through backplane or should we need to uplink them to connect with each other. 

Thank you again. 

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

In all honesty your question, asked that way, uses a wrong wording [*]...with the right words in the right position - eventually - it makes sense; so it should be changed into this one:

"what I want to know if the switchesmodules ininstalled in every moduleslots isare directly connected with each other through backplane or should we need to uplink them to connect with each other".

Asked that way, that question has this sound answer: "Yes, each Module once installed into a Slot is directly connected to the backplane and the backplane interconnect them all; moreover the backplane permits all of them to communicate with installed management module(s). You don't need any cabling for that basic and essential chassis communication and operation."

You don't need any "backplane dedicated cabling" (correctly: definitely you can't use any cabling for the backplane!) in order for those Modular Switch to work: cabling (as example: Fiber Optic, Copper Ethernet Cat. 5e/6/7, DAC Cables) should be used to connect Modules' ports to the rest of your planned/existing network. That's all, that's the basic a-b-c of modular chassis Switches I know of.

[*] basically you should pay attention that, generally, a Switch based on Modular Chassis has:

• Slots (in which Modules can be installed: Slots host Modules).
  • Modules (hosted by free available Slots): Modules generally provides usable Ports.
  • the Chassis (which is made of Power Supply Units, Backplane, the entire physical frame and free "numbered" Slots too: some Slots are dedicated to hosting Management Module(s) specifically...those slots are reserved for that specific Module, all others are open to host any compatible Module for the type of Switch considered).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner