Aruba & ProVision-based
1748185 Members
4055 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Aruba IAP 135 & Aruba IAP-515

MHollingsworth

Aruba IAP 135 & Aruba IAP-515

I have 70 x Aruba IAP 135 connected via a Virtual Controller running version 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.12.

I would like to add Aruba IAP-515 to the same controller, is this possible?  I have read alot online but nothing seems to be conclusive.

Many thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Hello

Not sure if this is the correct forum because it handles switches

. As far as I know Airheads Community should be used for questions related to Aruba wireless products

https://community.arubanetworks.com/

As far as I can see the minimum version of IAP 515 is 8.4.0.0, have a look here

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP510Series.pdf

I can find the following in the Aruba Instant Manual:

Each Instant AP model has a minimum required software version. When a new Instant AP is added into an
existing cluster, it can join the cluster only if the existing cluster is running at least the minimum required
version of that Instant AP. If the existing cluster is running a version prior to the minimum required version of
the new Instant AP, the new Instant AP will not come up and may reboot with the reason Image sync fail. To
recover from this condition, upgrade the existing cluster to at least the minimum required version of the new
Instant AP first, and add the new Instant AP. For more information about supported Instant AP platforms,
refer to the Aruba Instant Release Notes.

So the cluster has to be updated to 8.4.0.0 in order for the new AP to be able to join. The problem for you here is that your older IAP 135 cannot be updated to 8.4.0.0. I dont see this model in the list of supported platforms for 8.4.0.0

Maybe the only solution is to put all the IAP515 on a different subnet and manage them as a separate cluster.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

MHollingsworth

Hi Emil,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and for the advice, I will look into running them as a separate cluster.

Kind regards,

Mike.