5973 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Best practices software upgrade path

Dennis_HP-ATP
Occasional Advisor

Best practices software upgrade path

Hello guys,

I am planning to perform a software upgrade on our access layer J9727A Aruba 2920 POE switch stacks.

From current version: WB.15.17.0007

to new version: WB.16.03.0005

HP recommends an incremental upgrade and that you follow "Best practices for Software Upgrade", but they don't provide a link to these best practices. A google search did not gave me any useful results.

Is anyone familiar with the best practices for software upgrade and perhaps able to provide me a link?

Tips and other matters to take into account are always welcome. :-)

Many thanks.

Dennis

9 REPLIES 9
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Hello

Your software is not that different from the new one, so it is not needed to do an incremental upgrade.

Load your software on the commander switch, he will push the new software automatically to the other members. if you will use tftp use following command:

copy tftp flash <ip address> <full filename> primary

after that you only need to reboot the whole stack by executing following command:

boot system

This will boot the whole stack, so you should do this between a downtime window.

Kind regards

Dennis_HP-ATP
Occasional Advisor

Great thanks!

TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

I ususally make a backup of the current software version first in case there are problems with the new version.

copy flash flash secondary

brookingtir21
Visitor

Cool ! Thanks alot 

m3D
Occasional Visitor

Hey Dennis,

every Major Version of Softwar has a "Basic Operations Guide" as mentioned in the update notice.

So if you google something like "HPE ArubaOS-Switch Basic Operations Guide Version 16.04" you'll get an Link:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1009438770&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00008393en_us

In the document there is a Chapter called "Managing switch software", in this perticular case it is Chapter 10, page 148.

And on page 152 you get your "Best practices, recommendations, and precautions".

From time to time some commands change a bit, all those changes are always shown within that document.

Cheers,

Kerim

Bwheaton
Occasional Contributor

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but why were you updating the firmware?  Were you having a problem and the firmware update was the first step for resolution?  I have a switch running a very similar firmware version and the memory utilization seems to be high.  Was that a problem you were having?

Brent

RenRom1
Occasional Advisor

Just curious. Why upgrading to a firmware dated from: 14-07-2017? Why not upgrading to the latest WB.16.08 branche? or one before?

sujrou
Frequent Visitor

this brings up the question: which current version count requires incremental updates and which one doesn't?

vpramodv

Please check which immedite firmware version    up dating  Boot ROM  version. then upgrade to that version first.