1753428 Members
4801 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Bringing a remote subnet into datacenter

Jeff231
Occasional Visitor

Bringing a remote subnet into datacenter

I am pretty new to Procurves, I come from Juniper and Cisco world, but what I would like to do is bring one of my remote site subnet's to a port in my datacenter for testing purposes on devices that I will be deploying to the remote site.  In otherwords let's say my datacenter switch is 192.168.1.x and my remote site is 192.168.10.x, how can I provision a port to let me assign an IP to a device to properly test it before I ship it out.  For instance if I want to make sure a printer is working properly I can set a static address in that subnet plug into my port and be able to print through the print que to the device, that way I know it's working when it hits the ground.  Any help would be appreciated. These sites are connecting via VPN to my main datacenter, but I am sitting at the secondary datacenter that also connects to my core via VPN.

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Bringing a remote subnet into datacenter

Isn't like - here I guess - to extend an IP Subnet, at Layer 2, from one site (let me call DC1, remote site) to another (let me call DC2, core site)? ...devices on DC2 are, even if just for testing/deployment purposes only, de-facto as devices really sitting on DC1...doesn't a VPN Site-to-Site require different non overlapping Subnets on each end?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

I have never done this myself, but I think some Procurve switch models have support for GRE tunnels. On newer models there is per port tunneling, but I think that is only for tunneling traffic to a Aruba wireless controller. Also on some models you can do VxLAN.

Jeff231
Occasional Visitor

I hadn't considered a GRE, but that may be a possibility.  Thank you for the suggestion.