New Discussion юеВ

Re: CLI differences between HP/HPE products

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fi011
Frequent Visitor

CLI differences between HP/HPE products

Hello all,

I'm a bit confused with the CLI on two HPE switches I worked with yesterday. Commands were different than the usual HP product I used.

For example first difference is that you can do show commands. Instead of display current config I could so show run and it worked. I used Huawei, HP and HPE products and it was always display this or display current config.

Than, forming a trunk/tagging vlans is different. On previous switches port is configured, similar to Cisco, as port link-type trunk and access. But on these two switches you need to get into vlan and tag/untag, similar to Brocade. I found this approach very cumbersome, beacuse I cannot easily check which vlans are on athe interface. Only way to check is to check each vlan and check if its taged on the interface or not. Imagine that with 3000 vlans! 

Any input/clarification will be very helpful.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: CLI differences between HPE switches

What switch models?  There are Comware, Procurve and Aruba.

Fi011
Frequent Visitor

Hi Dennis, 

Thansk for the reply. I wanted to include the switch models in my first post, but was not able to check. I will post the exact models.

Still, I've worked with HP, HPE and Huawei until now, and they all had dis cur conf instead of sh run, and show commands were completely unspupported. Also, on all those models you would for a trunk with the link port-type trunk command, but on these two switches I had to tag the port under the vlan sub menu and that's what suprised me the most. 

Beucause that's fundamentaly different than what I saw before...

parnassus
Honored Contributor

AFAIK - just to say - the most evident difference you can use to understand which type of HP/HPE/Aruba switch you're working with (CLI Commands aliases apart) is display (Comware 5/7) versus show (ProVision/ArubaOS-Switch)...with regards to some VLAN related commands some old ProCurve switches use a different approach in taggin/untagging an interface to a (or to more) VLAN(s).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
SantoshPG
HPE Pro

Hi,

Here is a CLI complarison guide of the Aruba/Procurve VS Comware VS Cisco. 

I hope this guide is of help to you. 

Link :- http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04793912-4.pdf

Thank you,
I am an HPE employee
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was the post useful? Click on Kudos Thumb below
parnassus
Honored Contributor

...better the latest 3.3 Edition of the same guide: ArubaOS-Switch, Comware and Cisco IOS CLI Reference Guide.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Fi011
Frequent Visitor

Thank you.

You are righjt, it looks this is Arista:

HP-2530-48G

Just a question that bothers me with tagging untagging vlan system.

Imagine this command on port 24 for example: switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100,110,120,130...

How would you discover which vlans are on this trunk with the Arista method?

You could go vlan by vlan and check if its tagged on port 24. Obviously it's not a great method if you have hundreds or thousands vlans on one inteface (I work for a large ISP and we have huge trunk links for example). 

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Mate...HP 2530 is not Arista...it was HP ProCurve 2530...now called/rebranded Aruba 2530 (no matter the old faceplate, what's important is the software version it is currently running on...say YA./YB.mm.nnnn? ...as example YA.16.06.0006 to say one...the quite latest one...just to name one of many actually available).

Said so...to check which VLANs a physical or logical interface (say your physical interface 24) is untagged and also tagged (so VLANs it permits) into you could issue the CLI Command show vlan ports 24 (and its more detailed variant show vlan ports 24 detail), pretty simple.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Fi011
Frequent Visitor

Well, that's why I said I'm confused, right? :) 

I'm confusing Arista with Aruba sometimes, obviously.

Yes, I guess that was the command I was looking for!!! Thanks a lot ;)