1748248 Members
3765 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Change member ID in stack

Viking698
Occasional Contributor

Change member ID in stack

Ok I need to change the member ID of 2920 in a stack. The stack has 4x2920 set as a chain. What I have is this for the members

siwtch postion in stack 1 = 2 member id (Commander)

2 = 1 member id (Standby)

3 = 3

4 = 4

I just need to change the member ID's of 1 and 2 so they match the postion in the stack. 

The first switch is the Commander and the second switch is the standy. Is there a way to just change the member ID's of the switchs? Or does the stack have to be rebuilt.

Forgive me I have read how to renumber the switchs but I have not had any luck with those instructions(problem being is one member is the comnnader and the other is the standby).

Thanks for your help.

10 REPLIES 10
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Did you try to follow the renumbering stacked member(s) paragraph to let the Stacking IDs to match their stacking positions as explained on the HP 2920 Switch series Stacking Technical Whitpaper (Page 14)?

Edit: I must admit that it's not clear if renumbering can be done against a member that has the Commander role...if so (if it can't be done) the only way is to manually force a stack redundancy switchover (of actual Commander member) to the actual Standby member...another way could be to change member(s) priority accordingly (giving the higher priority for the new Commander role to a non-Standby and non-Commander remaining member) and then reboot the stack, after that proceed with member renumbering.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Viking698
Occasional Contributor

I have tried that what was listed in the whitepaper but had no luck. I have all ready used the redundancy swithcover to make the first switch the commander. Problem is it does not change the member ID number.

Was thinking of changing the member(s) priority but that will not change the member ID. I think since one is the commander and the other the standby you cannot do it.

May just have to set everything to factory defaults and recreate the stack.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Are you saying that you were not able to change member(s) priority in order to set the highest (for new Commander role) to, let me say, Switch n°4 and to set, concurrently, a less higher priority (compared to actual ones set on actual Commander and Standby members) for new Standby role to Switch n°3?

After such procedure do force a redundancy switchover to let Switch n°1 and n°2 restart with their new member roles (they were ex-Commander and ex-Standby) and to let Switch n°3 and n°4 restart as new Standby and new Commander for the entire Stack...at that point perform a switch renumbering on Switch n°1 and n°2 as explained on the Technical Whitepaper: new Id for Switch n°1 should be 1 (instead of actual 2) and new Id for Switch n°2 should be 2 (instead of actual 1).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Linkk
Frequent Advisor

Could you explain what you mean by "no luck"? Did some kind of error return? Like you said, something like "you cannot shutdown the commander"?

If this is the problem, you should switchover to member 3 and 4 and then do the procedure from the whitepaper.
Switchover changes the commander, it does not change the IDs.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yep, I think that that HP 2920 Switch Series Stacking Technical Whitepaper is sufficiently clear about described procedures...

I'm not an HPE Employee
Viking698
Occasional Contributor

No I have not change the priority, I was hoping to do that after the renumbering took affect. 

When I did the redundancy switch over it change the commander to from switch 2 to switch 1, but the member id's did not change. So switch 1 says it is still member id 2 and switch 2 member id 1.  Switch 3 and 4 have alway been members. 

Change switch id 3 and 4 to be command and standby then renumber? Is that possible in a chain configuration or would it have to be ring?

Viking698
Occasional Contributor

What I mean by no luck was just that. I tried to follow the direction I had found from hp on this but it only listed changing switches if they were members not commander and standby

I did remove all switches from the stack except the commander, was hoping if it did not see any other switch I could remove the commander. It did not work. I was hoping that it should just change the member id if it only saw one switch.

Will try again.

Thanks for the help

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Viking698 wrote: No I have not change the priority, I was hoping to do that after the renumbering took affect. 

When I did the redundancy switch over it change the commander to from switch 2 to switch 1, but the member id's did not change. So switch 1 says it is still member id 2 and switch 2 member id 1.  Switch 3 and 4 have alway been members. 

That's because redundancy switchover procedure purpose is not Stack Member Id(s) renumbering but forcing the re-election of a new Commander for the entire Stack (the node with second higher priority of the entire Stack will become, as fallback, the new Commander and the Commander will take the Standby role...so if your second higher priority Stack Member in list was the Switch n°1 with Id 2 and the highest priority value was owned by the Switch n°2 with Id 1 the redundancy switchover operation you did switched the Commander from Switch n°2 with Id 1 to Switch n°1 with Id 2, the redundancy switchover procedure doesn't/didn't care about Stack Member Id numbering scheme, I'm quite sure  it looks at Stack Members priority values to rule out the switchover operation and assign a new Commander and a new Standby for the entire Stack).

Change switch id 3 and 4 to be command and standby then renumber? Is that possible in a chain configuration or would it have to be ring?

IMHO Yes, why not?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Viking698
Occasional Contributor

Ok thanks when I have the chance again will try.

I do have another odd question reguarding the chain topology. I keep finding 2 different ways that the cables should be setup. When I first got the switch I set them up as in this picture.

chain.jpg

What I keep finding is this picture.

chain2.jpg

Just wondering which is correct, not sure if it matters just figured I would ask.

Thanks again. Will let you know what happens.