New Discussion

Configure HPE 1920 L3 with Dell Powerconnect 2724 VLANs

SOLVED
Go to solution
RafaelV
Occasional Contributor

Configure HPE 1920 L3 with Dell Powerconnect 2724 VLANs

Greetings everyone,

I’ve just bought an HPE 1920 L3 switch that it will be used to route traffic from L2 switch using specific VLAN Tags. I could just use my L3 switch to setup my VLANs and plug the pieces into it, however I don’t want to set aside my old L2 switch. In this sense, I’m wondering how can I configure my L3 switch to route traffic between VLANs.

This is what I have so far on HPE 1920: Configure 4 VLANs (VLAN1 - Management, VLAN10 - Marketing, VLAN20 - Engineering and VLAN30 - Sales). The endpoints assigned to VLAN 10 needs to be available for all VLANs.

On the L2 switch I have all the ports assigned to the specific VLANS above.

However, I’m wondering if and how can I setup IP address for VLANS 10,20,30 and so routes, on my 1920, to route back my traffic for L2 switch, to the specific VLAN.

In the physical aspect, is only a matter of plug a cable from specific port on L2 switch, say 24, to any untagged port on L3 switch?

Best Regards

Rafael

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Configure HPE 1920 L3 with Dell Powerconnect 2724 VLANs

Hi, to enable IP Routing between your configured VLAN Ids on your HPE 1920 you just need to assign a (non overlapping) IP Address to each of them...let me say (example):

• 10.0.1.254 (Subnet 10.0.1.0/24) for VLAN Id 1 "Management" IP interface
  • 10.0.10.254 (Subnet 10.0.10.0/24) for VLAN Id 10 "Marketing" IP interface
  • 10.0.20.254 (Subnet 10.0.20.0/24) for VLAN Id 20 "Engineering" IP interface
  • 10.0.30.254 (Subnet 10.0.30.0/24) for VLAN Id 30 "Sales" IP interface

Given that any edge host connected to any access port (so untagged on its related VLAN Id), provided that has a hosting VLAN Id compatible IP Addressing (so it will belong to right Subnet and will use the right Default Gateway which should be the VLAN Id IP Address), will be able to reach (and be reached by) any other host assigned in another VLAN Id, there aren't ACL so the routing is any-to-any.

Your other Layer 2 Switch will just be uplinked to the HPE 1920 (acting as a Layer 3) by means of a port which need to carry (and so permit) - on both ends - all relevant VLAN Ids (a trunk port in Comware/Cisco jargon, a tagged port in HP ProVision/Aruba ArubaOS-Switch jargon)...then simply any edge host connected to an access port on Layer 2 Switch will be able to reach the VLAN Ids IP interfaces on the Layer 3 (provided that, as above, the host is well configured)...and so it will be routed if it required to do so.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
RafaelV
Occasional Contributor

Greetings Parnassus, and thanks for the quickly reply.

OK! However if I use any common interface to connect the L2 switch with the L3 switch, will I have throughput problems? Say I have a full traffic on each L2 switch port (1000 Mbps), so if I use one of those port to interconnect the two switches, I will be forwarding my all traffic using a 1000 Mbps port. In this sense, do I need to use the SFP port for this traffic?

Thanks in advance

Rafael V.

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

With a single 1Gbps link between your two Switches (remembering that the 1920 doesn't support any speed higher than 1Gbps on its ports, 1000Base-T or SFP) you're pretty much forced to have that maximum speed threshold...the only alternative would be to aggregate two or more ports on both peers using LACP and then packets from/to your two switches should use all links (there is an hashing algorithm that polarize egress traffic distribution on those links from each peer) giving more aggregated bandwidth and adding resiliency.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner