1751693 Members
5188 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Connect two 5412 switches together

Matt1999
Visitor

Connect two 5412 switches together

What is the most efficient and fasted way to connect two 5412 J8698A switches together? They would be located right next to each other.

Is there an uplink cable? Trunking? Using x module for the trunking?

Thanks,

Matt

5 REPLIES 5
Helper
Valued Contributor

Re: Connect two 5412 switches together

Hi,

The only way is to use your modules with front-panel ports (Fiber, copper).

The best configuration will be a LACP port, logical trunk, with 2 ports using link integrity checking. You can 2 Gigabit ports or 2 10Gig ports but you can't mixed them.

Bye.

Matt1999
Visitor

I know how to trunk the ports but I do not know how to configure link integrity. Can you advise on how to do this? Does defining the trunk as LACP do this? Are 2 ports the maximum that you can use for a trunk? I have another trunk configured to connect to a different switch using two 1GB ports. Will this new additional trunk cause any issues with the existing trunk?

I am considering purchasing the 10GB module for this trunk and installing one in each switch.

Thanks!

Helper
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Yes LACP will provide link integrity by default.

More than 2 ports is interesting only when your data flaws contains a lot of different macsrc/macdst conversations, otherwise this could be use for redundancy with a third link to be sure always working at 2gig.

Bye.

aslookin

I consider the most effective and relatively inexpensive way to interconnect 5412zl switches is the use of J8708A (4x10Gb CX4 interface module) and 4pcs of CX4 copper cable 1m or 3m length. It may be aggregated by LACP to 40Gb interswitch trunk. Good to use DTIP to distribute trunks of servers on both switches in such configuration.

Matt1999
Visitor

I used the J9309A modules on both switches and connected two 10GB ports using LACP. I do not know the performance different between the J8708A and the J9309A. I am not using the additional two 10GB connections available on this module at this time. I am not sure if I should connect the other two and add them to this trunk or not. I do not know how I can determine if this is needed or not.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!