1753768 Members
5343 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DT-LACP Switch to Switch

LanciaMad
Occasional Visitor

DT-LACP Switch to Switch

Previously using DT-LACP to connect switches together was a big no no due to STP etc. It should only be used to connect switches to servers.

I've heard from a number of sources that this is no longer the case and we can now connect switches to switches using DT-LACP but I cannot find any offical HP documentation to confirm this.

I want to connect two 5406zl's to a 5700 IRF stack, DT-LACP on the 5406zl end. Still not recommended?

3 REPLIES 3
Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

I don't see any reason why that would not work.  The IRF pair is simply another switch connected via DT trunk and vice versa.  However, if it were me, I would use one or the other.  Easier to configure and troubleshoot.  Less things that can go wrong...

Emil_G
HPE Pro

Hello,

Why not simply check the manual.

K.15.16.x is one of the current firmware releases. I have chosed the management and configuration guide for this release (there are different manuals for different releases, because they contain different features)

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04490719-2.pdf

Go to page 157 to 169.

On page 166 you can find a list of restrictions, but I dont see a restriction there that only servers are supported as downstream devices.

Checking older release notes I see the following enhancement introduced in K.15.05.0001 (this release should be about 4 years old)

Distributed Trunking Switch-to-Switch

Enhancement (PR_0000063613) - Adds support for switch-to-switch Distributed Trunking. See “Port Trunking” in

the Management and Configuration Guide.

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03315372

HTH

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Emil.  I did not mean to imply it was not supported, switch-to-switch DT certainly is.