1753725 Members
4587 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Delete static arp entry on 5308xl

chalowther
Occasional Advisor

Delete static arp entry on 5308xl

Does anyone know a way to delete a static arp entry?

There is a static arp entry on my 5308xl that is causing some minor problems.  I can not find a way to delete it.  In fact, I can't find any information suggesting that static arp entries are even supported.

Here is part of my arp table output

IP Address      MAC Address       Type    Port
  --------------- ----------------- ------- ----
  10.XXX.XX.81    9cfc01-XXXXXX     dynamic B7
  10.XXX.XX.85    00cdfe-XXXXXX     static
  10.XXX.XX.86    1c5cf2-XXXXXX     dynamic B7

The no arp command does not work

XXX(config)# no arp 10.XXX.XX.85
IP address 10.XXX.XX.85 not found.
3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

What is the (sanitized) output of

show config
show running

commands?

A static ARP entry into the Static ARP Table (other than into the ARP Cache Table which should be used by dynamic ARP entries...so the ones learned by the Switch) should mean that that MAC IP binding is/was user configured...so a look at (running) configuration would be a good starting point.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
chalowther
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the thought.  There is nothing in the running or startup config that references the static arp entry.  I do think that means a reload would clear it, but that would cause much more disruption than the static arp entry itself.

Incidentally, I didn't find anything in the logs referring to the entry being created either.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Eventually there should be a command, part of a hidden - and dangerous - HP ProCurve diagnostic mode (best known as edomtset), that is:

arpFlush

it will flush ARP Table...even if, I think, the flushing operation will impact Dynamic entries only [*], not static ones.

What's about CLI commands history? was it checked?

[*] the same should happen with the clear arp CLI command: this one will flush all non-permanent (AKA non static) entries in the ARP Cache Table.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner