1753548 Members
5497 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Differences between switch models

joellinn
Occasional Visitor

Differences between switch models

I'm looking for a replacement for my broken switch.

Basically I need 48 Ports and 2 SFP (+ not needed but nice to have for future updates) and PoE+.
The switch should be capable of ipv6 routing. GUI configuration is prefered over CLI (shame on me ;-) ).

I've spend hours filtering through zillions of models including a dozen vendors out there but I'm especially curious about the differences between these two: 

HP 1950-48G-2SFP+-2XGT-PoE+ JG963A
HP 2920-48G-POE+ J9729A

If you have other models on mind that could fit please don't hesitate to mention those as well.

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Differences between switch models

Well...the main differentiating factor between them is their running Software: the Aruba 2920 runs the ProVision OS Software (probably now renamed in ArubaOS Switch after some HPE product lines were rebranded into Aruba) - exactly the WB Platform -  on 5th Generation ASICs; the HPE OfficeConnect 1950 (that has a H3C heritage) runs the ComWare 7.1 OS Software.

HPE OfficeConnect Switch series (1400, 1600, 1800 and 1900 families) belong to the Small-Businesses segment of the HPE Portfolio branding.

HPE 2920 (now Aruba 2920) - like the 10500, 5400R zl2, 3800 and 2530 Switch series - belongs to the Campus&Branch segment of the HPE Portfolio branding (sharing the same branding position of FlexNetwork Switch series).

So basically, even if they're both fixed ports Switches with PoE+ and SFP+ capable of 10G Base-T or 10G Optical, they have different set of features (since they're marketed for different types of customers).

The Aruba 2920 provides (Basic) Layer 3 IPv4/IPv6 Static Routing features set (Static and RIP routing) with up to 2048 IPv4 Static Routes and offers Layer 3 Services like DHCP Server (the HPE OfficeConnect 1950 offers only ARP and DHCP Relay)...but I'm not an expert here to highlight the whole group of differences (pro/cons) with repect to the HPE OfficeConnect 1950 (which has IPv4/IPv6 Static Routing and up to 32 IPv4 Static Routes).

Both seem to be fully IPv6 capables but, again, the IPv6 features set of Aruba 2920 looks more complete.

Both seem to support LLDP-MED (useful if you plan to use one of them as MAD for a VSF).

Both Switches can be managed using a Web Browser but only the Aruba 2920 supports a fully complete CLI interface too (the CLI is just partial on the HPE OfficeConnect 1950 series, the same happens on the HPE OfficeConnect 1920 series too).

The Aruba 2920 provides (backplane) Stacking capabilities, this is somewhat very particular: with a specific 2 ports Stacking Module (loaded on the stacking slot positioned on the Switch's back) and particular (non Ethernet) Stacking Cables up to 4 units can be stacked (creating a single "logical unit") using a Chain/Ring topology.

The HPE OfficeConnect 1950 - as happened for other big brothers too before the introduction of VSF - simply doesn't offer that feature (Yes, you can definitely create single port/aggregated ports Uplinks to other Switches but this is not "Stacking", it is just "Uplinking"...the only stacking supported on HPE OfficeConnect 1900 Series is the "Management Stacking" where one port is lost in favour of interlinking Switch to manage them centrally from a master/commander unit). Here I'm excluding IRF...since we're speaking about Edge/Access Switches and not Core ones.

It seems to me that HPE OfficeConnect 1950 doesn't support Distributed Trunking (BAGGs that haven't port that co-terminate on the same peer Switch as should happen with normal Trunking): this could be a limit if your structure requires DT to Core Switches.

Another thing to think about is that the HPE/Aruba 5400R zl2 (once equipped with v3 Modules, running in v3 mode only and once running the K.16.01 ProVision OS Software) is now cabable to do Stacking (2 units only actually and equal ones: 2x5406R or 2x5412R, 2nd Management Module will be disabled if equipped) using the newly introduced VSF (Virtual Switching Framework) feature...and this using just front (modules) ports and Ethernet Cables (from 1x10 Gbps/1x40 Gbps up to 8x10 Gbps/8x40 Gbps)...it's like a (potentiated) Aruba 2920 Stacking without Stacking Modules and Stacking Cables.

They're two very different horses...and the Aruba 2920 is a real racing one IMHO. An entry level to the world of Aruba 3800 and 5400R zl2.

Edit: oh...gosh...someone at Aruba made me laugh today! ...they called VSF Vertical (instead of Virtual!) Switching Framework on a PDF named "ArubaOS VSF Configuration Guide"! See here (advertised here). Someone should tell them to fix the title!

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner