108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Distributed Trunking and Spanning Tree issue

Ruff1984
Occasional Advisor

Distributed Trunking and Spanning Tree issue

Hello COmmunity,

i have a short question.

We have 2 Core-Switches Model 8200 and 8 HP 5406 access Switches. Every access switch ist with one uplink to each Core Switch connected. Spanning-Tree ist activated (RSTP).

Our Netapp is also with each one Uplink ( Trk1 and Trk2) to the 8200 Cores connected. Distributed Trunking ist enabled.

The Spanning-Tree configuration on both Core-Switches shows :

spanning-tree Trk1 priority 4

spanning-tree Trk2 priority 4

why is the Uplink to the storage system ( Trk1 and Trk2)  listend in Spanning-Tree ? does it have to be or recommanded ?

or can i just set the Uplinks to the Storage as admin-edge ports ?

iam asking because i get every day:

ports: AM1: trunk Trk1 is now inactive
 ports: AM1: trunk Trk12 is now inactive

stp: AM1: CST Root changed from 0: 00ab000-fa7200 to
            4096: (this device)

port F1 in Trk1 is now off-line
port F2 in Trk2  is now off-line

and then my Network gettin crazy and we have a lot of topolgy changes.

Thanks a lot

2 REPLIES 2
Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Re: Distributed Trunking and Spanning Tree issue

Hello.  The spanning-tree priority for trunks is lowered when you create any trunk so that downstream devices prefer the trunk over a non-aggregated link of the same path-cost.  By default ports are configured for "auto-edge" which listens 5 seconds for a BPDU and if one is not received the port is declared and edge port.  If the trunk is connected to an end system you can certainly configure it to be admin-edge.

The topology changes could be caused by a variety of things.  What port is the root bridge (00ab000-fa7200) located on?  Is the link to that switch toggling?  Are there any logs that precede the trunk going inactive?

And what code is running on the 8200?

Ruff1984
Occasional Advisor

Re: Distributed Trunking and Spanning Tree issue

Thanks for your answer...

The trk Uplinks are connected to our Storage system/ end system , so i will configure it as admin-edge port.

There are no logs before the trk1 and trk2 is now inaktive message. Normally there is no toggling between the switches, but i will check it again.