5616 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

E-series, secondary addresses?

DHow
Occasional Visitor

E-series, secondary addresses?

All,

I’ve taken over a project from someone else, who is now gone and not reachable. I'm still a little new to the HP products and specifics so I'm reaching out.

The original person was supposed to configure the internal VLAN with a standard gateway address of 10.10.10.1 but for some reason unknown to me, they configured it to 10.10.10.4 (.1 is available). Now, all the DHCP scopes and the manually configured servers and appliances point to 10.10.10.4. Of course, the customer wants to follow the standard so they’d like me to change it as I clean up the configs and close out the project. And of course, they want no down time.

What I’d LIKE to do is create a secondary type address on this VLAN interface with 10.10.10.1 and then give the customer time to migrate their DHCP scopes over, and manually change all statically configured devices. Then when they are done, remove 10.10.10.4 and leave 10.10.10.1 as the only gateway/VLAN address.

On a Cisco, I can create a secondary IP address; 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0 secondary but I can’t figure out how to do this on a 5406. Every time I try to add it, it tells me “The IP address (or subnet) 10.10.10.1/24 already exists.”   It seems as if it wasn’t in the same /24, I could add it but when it’s in the same network, it rejects it.

vlan 10

name "Internal LAN"

untagged A2-A24,B7-B12,B21-B22,Trk1-Trk2

ip address 10.10.10.4 255.255.255.0

exit

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Re: E-series, secondary addresses?

I tried it on my 3400cl on M.10.76 and got exactly the same result.  It appears that this is a limitation in the ProCurve IP stack.  I can't suggest any other options, but just thought i would confirm for you that i was able to reproduce it.

Regards,
Paul
JWag44
Occasional Advisor

Re: E-series, secondary addresses?

I know this doesn't help at all, but I have found the transition from Cisco to HP very difficult.  Cisco has thought of it all.  If someone has an answer to this, I would be curious to know the answer.

I wonder if the A-series of switches has a similar feature.  The A-series is the advanced version.