4889 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: E3800 - more questions

Lashik
Occasional Visitor

E3800 - more questions

Hello all.

Recently we purchased 4 E3800 switches with stacking modules and cables, and also 1G SFPs in all switches. The idea was:

- have 2 switches in one site (lets say site A, and switch A and B, so stack will be A-AB)

- have 2 switches in other site (lets say site B, and switch A and B, so stack will be B-AB)

- interconnect been site A and B (~100m) - FO (multimode)

We setup (but its appeared, that it was unsupported configuration) two stacks, with stacking option (only availible in e3800) and created mesh (don't be confused with mesh-stacking tehnology) on spf ports. Like i said before after some testing, we realized that this is unsupported configuration.

Now i don't know what to do, on one hand i need to use stack, because we bought it, on other hand i need create full redundancy between sites, and last one, i need to connect HP P4500 to that switches, to both of them in very site using ALB/LACP.

Thanks for advice.

2 REPLIES 2
Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

Can you have this?

• 2 mesh/stacks (one at each site) using the 40Gb cables
  • link the stacks with 1Gb optics using LACP (using 2 or more fibre pairs)
  • run VRRP over that if you need gateway redundancy

The Comware switches support IRF which runs over regular 10Gb fibre, allowing you to have a single virtual  switch that extends over a large area (like your 2 sites). You need to think carefully about what you want to achieve though; sometimes a single IRF virtual switch over 2 sites is appropriate, other times not.

Lashik
Occasional Visitor

Hi, thanks for advice.

We (and our HP reseller) decided to open case in HP, because we not only have connectivity issue, but also have strange stack behavior.

Now we setuped mesh-domain (with 1gbit links), attached HP P4500 (2 nodes) to mesh-domain and every thing looks fine.

But one thing bothers me, which tehnology is better mesh-domain or distributed-trunking?

Thanks

P.S. About stacking with 40gbit cables, we are waiting for HP replay