1748165 Members
3782 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

E3800 questions

n3tm1n
Valued Contributor

E3800 questions

- It looks like a premium license is not required  to enable OSPFv2/v3, PIM Dense mode, PIM Sparse mode, VRRP, and QinQ afvanced features. Is this true?

- After comparing the E3500(j8693A) with the E3800 (J9574A, j9588A), I don't see much of a signicant change/performance increase.

- What's the difference between meshing and stacking?

- Is meshing only on the E3800, or is this a ProVision Firmware feature of k15.06?

- Is meshing ProVision's form of IRF?

- Since this product is new, how would I convince Management that the E3880 (J9574A, or j9588A) is a better purchasing decision over the E3500(j8693A)?

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
IanV
Occasional Advisor

Re: E3800 questions

From what I remember:

* No premium LTU required - all features bundled in.

* Stacking/meshing is the big new enhancement over the 3500.

* Stacking is when you arrange up to 10 switches in a chain or loop configuration. Meshing is when you combine up to 5 switches together and use all 4 of the ports on the back to connect all together in an HA "star" topology.

* Stacking/meshing is unique to 3800 - requires special 4 port card with propriatory connections on it.

* IRF is stacking over standard SFP+ 10Gig ports and can be used with muti-mode or single mode fibre to stretch the cluster. The 3800 has relatively short cable lengths but you can get a lot of bandwidth across it. Both offer single IP address to manage, single STP bridge ID, lots of good stuff  etc etc. IRF can connect together any compatible switch that has the 10Gig ports and ComWare v5. The meshing/stacking is unique to the 3800 in that range.

* With a 3800 stack / mesh you can do proper HA aggregate links using LACP across the member switches. Much easier to manage than messing about with VRRP and having different MST instances.

Will that do :-)

Ta

Ian

Everyday's a school day. Go to bed smarter than when you woke.
n3tm1n
Valued Contributor

Thanks Ian.

Just a follow up question on what you mentioned in your reply.

IanV * With a 3800 stack / mesh you can do proper HA aggregate links using LACP across the member switches

When refering to HA with LACP, are you refering to if a switch is down or fails, are the devices that are connected to the failed switch rerouted to the switch that is still running? Or do you mean that  if I have a 4 port NIC on a server, and using LACP trunking distrubution between 2 switches and if one switch fails traffic is still going though the working switch?

-Bob

n3tm1n
Valued Contributor

Also, do you need the optional stacking module for "Meshing"? Documentation seems vague on this.

-Bob

n3tm1n
Valued Contributor

After reviewing the documentation, I am not more confused about the the 3800 switch.

- Is this an "Edge/access" switch or a core switch? Reason I ask is because the 48 port + SFP+/4XG 10 gig ports on this switch.

- If you need an aditional stacking module for Stacking/meshing, what is the need for the 10 Gig ports?

- Not sure what the need for SFP+ if your are not connecting a server with an optical NIC on it, wouldn't 10Gig ethernet be prefered?

Thanks,

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

- In my opinion this is an access switch. Just compare with A5800 series. Then you will see why.

- Up or downlinks to servers, distribution layer, to your core. Everything where you need 10Gbe

- You can naturally push ethernet traffic over a SFP+ module

n3tm1n
Valued Contributor

Ok,

I am interested in purchasing some of these switches, however, when looking for the latest firmware for the switches, HP only has KA 15.0.3.3004 available. The other Procurves eg. 3500/6600/54xx/82xx have K.15.06.0008 for it.

Will K.15.06.0008 work on the 3800 Switches?

ChicagoJay
Occasional Visitor

Just joined this forum, looking for something else, and I saw your post.  It's 5 years late, but the answer to your question is "definitely:"

Here is my 3800:

Image stamp: /ws/swbuildm/rel_orlando_qaoff/code/build/tam(swbuildm_rel_orlando_qaoff_rel_orlando)
Jun 8 2015 20:18:56
KA.15.16.0009
Boot Image: Secondary