1753523 Members
9315 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: E3800 stacked OS upgrade procedure

DoublePositive
Occasional Contributor

E3800 stacked OS upgrade procedure

I am looking for the upgrade procedure for 2 stacked E3800 switches. I ran the following command;

copy tftp flash 10.10.0.65 KA_15_03_3006.swi

This upgraded the switch and reloaded it. From there, the switch when into a reboot cycle with an error about the commander and member having different versions. With my switch setup I can reload any one of the switch without loses my access to the servers. But if I need to reload both switches this will take down access. Is there a better way to upgrade the OS or standard procedures? I didn't find anything about upgrading the OS in the Management and Configuration Guide.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

It's covered under the advanced traffic management guide and it looks like you're out of luck on the no-downtime front:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03018186/c03018186.pdf

Unless you try and do something like manually breaking the stack and upgrading in isolation but I don't run any stacks so can't really comment on that.

DoublePositive
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!, oh yes, I see it on page 6-15. I didn't do a "boot system" command. That may be what I needed.

Ok, just did the upgrade process again and followed the procedure exactly. The "boot system" command reloads the entire stack at the same time. So, there is downtime with an OS upgrade.

damima
Advisor

is this by desing? if it is, then it is bad desing. you would expect better from this type of switch or HP itself :-)
cabarrus
Occasional Advisor

Could someone outline the exact steps I need to perform in order to replace one of the E3800 switches in my two switch stack?

I had to perform this procedure sometime earlier last year and it was a bit of a disaster.

thanks!