Aruba & ProVision-based
1748226 Members
4527 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Failed upgrade on 5406zl (J8697A) Management Module (J8726A)

SOLVED
Go to solution
gbkersey
Occasional Advisor

Failed upgrade on 5406zl (J8697A) Management Module (J8726A)

After upgrade boots to "Lan Monitor / ROM Monitor":

IS2S0123
ROM information:
Build directory: /ws/swbuildm/btmrom_t5b_qaoff/rom/build/btmrom(btmrom_t5b_qaoff)
Build date: Nov 12 2012
Build time: 13:42:32
Build version: K.15.30
Build number: 11194

Error, unable to find boot device.
Could not open Image file

Bad code in FLASH

Flash memory needs reprogramming or chassis could be faulty.
Use a PC as the console and perform the update procedure
by serial Xmodem download of the current Switch Image.
If unsuccessful w/ downloading, then try replacing chassis.

HP ProCurve Switch 5406zl (J8697A)
ROM Build Directory: /ws/swbuildm/btmrom_t5b_qaoff/rom/build/btmrom(btmrom_t5b_qaoff)
ROM Version: K.15.30
ROM Build Date: 13:42:32 Nov 12 2012
ROM Build Number: 11194
SSC Version: SSC A0 140920120103
MSI Version: 4
CSI Version: 5

The managment module can't seem to mount the CF Flash at /cfa0

=>df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

How can I format the Compact Flash card so that it will be recognized.....  When I attempt to upload software via XModem I get an error because cfa0 is not mounted.

Download was successful.

-- Download for this Product, proceeding --
pass CRC check (len=7566208)

ERROR; unable to open image '/cfa0/boot.ini'
Ready for code execution.
ERROR: Download was unsuccessful.

How do I format the Compact Flash so that it can be mounted?  Current format is whole disk (no partitions) FAT.

How do I mount the Compact Flash so that I can copy the firmware to it?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Probably a way could be the one described here (probably Switch series manuals contain that exact procedure too)..but...which exact software version (K.xx.yy.zzzz) your HP ProCurve 5406 zl Switch (J8726A) was running before experiencing this issue with its Compact Flash card?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
gbkersey
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for that.  As you can see from the output in my original post, I'm already familiar with uploading software via xmodem.

The software version that it was running before was K.12.57 .  I followed the upgrade procedure to do the Boot ROM upgrades, which is now at K.15.30

So, I can get my CF to mount if I install the BENCH jumper on the Management Module.  I can mount it, unmount it, etc....  I tried formatting it, and it reports success although it does not change the content on the CF.

However, I can't seem to get the CF to mount without the BENCH jumper on.

What next?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

gbkersey wrote: Thanks for that.  As you can see from the output in my original post, I'm already familiar with uploading software via xmodem.

That's fine.

gbkersey wrote: The software version that it was running before was K.12.57 .  I followed the upgrade procedure to do the Boot ROM upgrades, which is now at K.15.30.

K.15.30 is the BootROM version: the software version is instead named like K.xx.yy.zzzz (as example K.15.18.0001) and contains the proper BootROM (See Releas Notes for restrictions and guidelines related to software/BootROM updates)...since your Switch seems was upgraded to a software version which concurrently (please confirm that) upgraded the BootROM too (if so did the Switch rebooted twice automatically?) and since each BootROM version can be shared by various software versions of various software branches during time, you should be able to perform that described procedure using the latest software version or the software version your Switch was upgraded to.

You didn't explain how you caused the failed upgrade (initial software status): I mean...what was the software version your Switch was running before you started the upgrade (you started only with a "After upgrade...").

gbkersey wrote: So, I can get my CF to mount if I install the BENCH jumper on the Management Module.  I can mount it, unmount it, etc....  I tried formatting it, and it reports success although it does not change the content on the CF.

However, I can't seem to get the CF to mount without the BENCH jumper on.

Sorry...what is the BENCH jumper you're naming?

I'm not an HPE Employee
gbkersey
Occasional Advisor

At this point I don't remember the details but I do remember the double boot to upgrade the Boot ROM from the original version to K.15.30.  

The problem that I'm having is that K.15.30 does not recognize the format of the Compact Flash cards that I have unless the BENCH jumper is installed.  

The BENCH jumper is on the Management Module.  There are actually several jumpers there....  CSC, SSC, DEBUG, DUMP, BENCH are in that gruop of pins.  There is also a JTAG connection, that I'll be investigating later this week if I don't get this working.

gbkersey
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Found the problem.  The DIMM in the managment module was bad.  Once I replaced it, the switch boots without a problem.

Some things I discovered:

1) The BENCH jumper does the almost the same thing as edomtest, but offers more features, especially with respect to the files on the flash disk

2) It is much faster and easier to copy the images onto the CF by mounting the CF in a computer and just copying files.

3) It appears that these switches understand vfat/fat32 format disks.  Just format the entire disk instead of partitioning first....

like this: mkfs.fat -F 32 -I /dev/sdX where X is the CF device. 

After being formatted, copy your primary image to btm.swi and the secondary image to secondary.swi and you should be good to go....

Thanks!

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Very interesting.

Glad you found out the culprit!

For the benefit of the entire Community (and as a future reference for curious):

1. Could you please elaborate a little bit more about differences between BENCH Jumper and edomtset (I guess that you're referring to the hidden diagnostic mode when you refer to edomtset)? do you mean that setting BENCH Jumper enhances the hidden diagnostic mode list of commands or that you have special diagnose commands without necessarily entering that (dangerous, proprietary and confidential [*]) mode? In both cases I'm really curious to know how entering that hidden diagnostic mode [**] could be of help in diagnosing the CF Card filesystem status (in terms of its filesystem check).
  2. Yes, especially if the mounting operation is going to happen on a Linux based host (for users loving Terminal).
  3. I would add the -c ("Check the device for bad blocks before creating the filesystem") and -v ("Verbose execution") options too to the reported MS-DOS filesystem creation command: that's just to be sure the CF Card is good enough before doing anything serious on it (so the command will be: mkfs.fat -F 32 -I -c -v /dev/sdX where X represents the disk letter associated to the CF Card disk once inserted on the hosting system).
  4. It will interesting to know used DIMM data (e.g. PC3200U, DDR, 256MB, CL3 as example) in case of a forced substituion with a bulk (non HP?) DIMM.

[*] Consider this clear Warning entering the diagnostic mode:

"ATTENTION: You are entering a diagnostic mode on this product that is HP Confidential and Proprietary. This mode, the commands and functionality specific to this mode, and all output from this mode are HP Confidential and Proprietary. You may use this mode only by specific permission of, and under the direction of, an HP support engineer or HP technical engineer. Unauthorized or improper use of this mode will be considered by HP to be unauthorized modification of the product, and any resulting defects or issues are not eligible for coverage under the HP product warranty or any HP support or service. UNAUTHORIZED OR IMPROPER USE OF THIS MODE CAN MAKE THE PRODUCT COMPLETELY INOPERABLE."

[**] IMHO doing that is really inappropriate.

I'm not an HPE Employee
gbkersey
Occasional Advisor

1) BENCH mode.  I'm not an expert regarding bench mode or the hidden diagnostic mode and I was unable to find any documentation, but I can give you this information:

BENCH mode (installing the bench jumper on the Procurve 5400 zl Switch Management Module (J8726A)) appears to put the system into a bench test mode for testing the hardware.

in version K.16.02.0014 there are 67 possible commands shown in help in "normal mode".  In edomtset mode there are 849 commands shown in help and in bench mode there are 381 commands listed in help.  Bench adds  the commands shown in the next message sorted in alpha order (sorry 25,000 character limit on posts and you can't attach a text file.)

This mode, like hidden diagnostic mode, has plenty of dangerous commands....  Be careful.  This mode helped in my troubleshooting only to allow me to mount a CompactFlash disk during boot when the management module contained faulty memory.  So, my guess is that this mode skips some file integrity tests.

2) Is there any other way that is worth knowing about? :)

3) I actually ran the following commands to ensure the flash was good and then format it in whole disk mode

badblocks -svw /dev/sdX

mkfs.fat -F 32 -I /dev/sdX

Thanks for pointing out the '-c' flag to mkfs.fat

4) The RAM in all of the managment modules I have are are at least PC2700 and one is PC3200.  The bad stick was a 512MB (the rest are 256MB) and it had a Dell sticker on it though it is a Micron part.  I wish I still had a machine that I could test DDR RAM with so that I could verify, but alas those have long gone to Goodwill.  AFAIKT all of the DIMMs that I have are not "HP" and that does not seem to make a difference.  I just had a bad stick of RAM, it happens.  A stick of Micron PC2700 should be fine, it's not like the processor in the Management Module is running that fast.

gbkersey
Occasional Advisor

Bench mode additional commands:

Well the total size of the list of commands is 15,914 characters but I am getting an error that says that my message cannot exeed 25,000 characters.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

1. Good to know.
  2. Definitely nothing! Linux forever... 8-)
  3. I was thinking also about a fsck.fat command (for sure with the -v option) eventually other than the badblocks one (both are very useful).
  4. Good to know that too (yep, DDR is really old now and testing - with a good memtest86+ test - such RAM type could be rather difficult these days).

Good luck!

I'm not an HPE Employee