Aruba & ProVision-based
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber identification

Fiber identification

Hello,

I want to report a situation I'm facing. My goal is to identify the fiber link between the buildings of my company.

I know for the oldest one that they are OM1. Now I need to identitify the newer one. The only way I found was to test the network speed between two buildings. But sadly, all my ports are occupied except the consol/ management one. Do someone know specific tool to resolv my problem to identify what type of Fiber my company have ?

Do I have a way to do this speed test with switch procurv command ? ( I use these switch all around).

I have found TFTP from Cisco could do it, but I didn't find it from procurve. Do I have a way.

Thank you very much !

PS: I'm not allowed and I don't have the tools for cutting and mesuring the core of the fiber (65 micro meter =/= 50 micro meter)

1 REPLY 1
Honored Contributor

Re: Fiber identification

Have you already identified Fiber Optic (SFP) Transceiver pairs used to connect each uplink? It will be a good starting point (testing available throughput of each uplink - with iperf3 client/server tool, as example - will require hosts placed at uplink's ends but results can be impaired by ports settings)).

Switch configuration (uplink ports/LAGs) will help too.

Also checking fiber optic patch cables data (usually printed directly on fiber optic cable's rubber surface) will give you an idea of each cable.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner