New Discussion

Fibre Uplink between HP 2530-48G and Netgear GSM7328S

SOLVED
Go to solution
marka01
Occasional Advisor

Fibre Uplink between HP 2530-48G and Netgear GSM7328S

Hello everyone,

I'm about to establish fibre optics link between HP 2530-48G and Netgear GSM7328S switches.
I've got SFP+ modules in both switches and fibre cables which go into fibre optics patch panel ready.

The question would be : do I need to do any additional configuration between ports or is it automatic ? to set-up Uplink or however it is called ? If so can anyone suggest how it's done ? CLI or web interface commands would be a great help.

p.s. sorry for my noobishness just first time I'm doing it and trying to understand the proper way to do it.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. -HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
marka01
Occasional Advisor

Re: Fibre Uplink between HP 2530-48G and Netgear GSM7328S

I still want to add a few more questions to it:

what does LACP Status mean and Trunk type LACP ?

Emil_G
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

The switch HP 2530-48G doesnt support SFP+ (10GbE). It only supports SFP (100Mbps or 1Gbps). So SFP+ transceivers will not work.

And you have to make sure that you are using HP SFP transceivers. You can find a list of the supported HP SFP transceivers here.

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/networking/products/switches/HP_2530_Switch_Series/index.aspx#tab=TAB4

Transceivers not in the list will be most probably blocked by the switch (even if they are from HP).

You have also to make sure that the SFP transceiver on the other side supports the same standart for fiber optics. For example 1000BASE-SX , 1000BASE-LX etc.  The proper cable for the respective transceiver has to be used.

There is no other special configuration in order to designate the port as uplink. There is no difference between uplinks and downlinks on this switch. You can use the SFP ports to connect a server for examle. Or you can use the RJ45 ports to connect another switch.

The only think I can think of at the moment is the VLAN configuration. If you have defined multiple VLANs on this switch, then the uplink has usually to be member of all this VLANs.

LACP means Link Aggregation Control Protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_Aggregation_Control_Protocol#Link_Aggregation_Control_Protocol

It is a protocol used to establish link aggregation groups, that is several physical interfaces aggregated to a single virtual interface.

The link aggregation is also called a trunk in the HP ProVision terminology.

So a trunk with type LACP is a trunk that was established using LACP.

On this switches you can also configure trunks without using LACP.

Please be aware that Cisco and other vendors have other definition for  trunk. They mean with trunk a port that supports multiple VLANs.

Here is the link with the manuals of the 2530 series

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=5333803&ac.admitted=1406364705898.876444892.199480143#manuals

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Emil_G
HPE Pro

Update: HP just released 4 new modells of the 2530 series, which support 2 SFP+ ports.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo