Aruba & ProVision-based
1753753 Members
4747 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fibre connection between two Aruba 2540 switches (x-post on airheads)

SharkyMP
Occasional Contributor

Fibre connection between two Aruba 2540 switches (x-post on airheads)

I wonder if anyone has an idea of why I seem to be unable to connect two Aruba 2540 switches (SwitchA & SwitchB) together via their SFP+ ports over a fibre connection between two rooms (RoomA & RoomB). SwitchA is a JL357A and SwitchB is a JL354A.

Each of the switches has J9150D SFP+ transceiver installed. The command "show tech transceivers" shows that both switches detect the transceiver correctly. The patch cables are 50cm OM3/4 (aqua colour) which are compatible with the fibre between the two rooms. However...

When I connect SwitchA to the fibre connection in RoomA and SwitchB to the fibre connection in RoomB, the connected SFP+ ports on both switches remain in a "Down" state.

So I took SwitchB into RoomA and directly connected the two switches together via the same SFP+ ports (with the same patch cable and transceivers). Both ports came 'up' on both switches (and they could "see" each other) so I'm presuming that the transceivers and patch cables are all good.

The fibre connection between the two rooms was tested when it was installed a few weeks ago and there didn't seem to be any issues with it and the fibre is a maximum of 25 metres in length between the two fibre patch panels/drawers in each room.

Is there something I need to do on the 2540 switches to allow them connect to each other over the fibre connection between the two rooms?

Thanks for any advice...

4 REPLIES 4
akg7
HPE Pro

Re: Fibre connection between two Aruba 2540 switches (x-post on airheads)

Hello,

I believe there is no issue with switch.

What is the distance between Room A & Room B?

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
SharkyMP
Occasional Contributor

Max 25 metres

akg7
HPE Pro

Hello @SharkyMP,

Is it possible to share 'show log' from the switch.

I am more interested to see log data when switch was in another room and port was showing 'Down' state.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi @SharkyMP, given that what you described it looks like the culprit is that 25 meters long run.

If you excluded the path between Room A and Room B and Switch A to Switch B link via shorts FO Patch Cords test went good (either moving Switch A on Room B or moving Switch B on Room A and using both 0.5 meter long FO Patch Cords) if I were you I would immediately focus against that 25 meters long FO run between your rooms (despite the test done, was that path certified?).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner