1747970 Members
3538 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 2540 strange Behaviour

Pino2
Occasional Contributor

HP 2540 strange Behaviour

Good Morning, We have all Switches HP2540 with a strange behaviour.

I do command Show interfaces and I see lot of errors on some ports.

I do "Clear statistics 1-52 " to clear all statistics on port but if I logout/login I see the same packet/error before the command " Clear "

Before Clear statistcs commandBefore Clear statistcs commandAfter Clear statistics commandAfter Clear statistics commandAfter Logout / LoginAfter Logout / Login

Could be a firmware Issue?

We installed the last firmware version ( 16.05.X )

Thanks

Giuseppe

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 2540 strange Behaviour

Does the same result happen if you commit the clear statistics global command and then perform a log-off/log-on before re-issuing the show interfaces display?

For sure something is going on...

P.S. Those reported look really  (port) dropped tx frames, not just errors.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I do seem to recall that "clear statistics" only relates to your session, it doesn't delete the statistics from the switch.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@Vince-Whirlwind, totally possible...so I double checked one of the latest ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide available to see what that command is supposed to do and this is the scope I found (resetting port counters):

"It is useful to be able to clear all counters and statistics without rebooting the switch when troubleshooting network issues. The clear statistics global command clears all counters and statistics for all interfaces except SNMP. You can also clear the counters and statistics for an individual port using the clear statistics <port-list> command."

and also:

"When executed with the port-list option, clears the counters and statistics for an individual port. When executed with the global option, clears all counters and statistics for all interfaces except SNMP. The show interfaces [<port-list>] command displays the totals accumulated since the last boot or the last clear statistics command was executed. The menu page also displays these totals."

with a special note:

"Once cleared, statistics cannot be reintroduced."

that says it all.

So, no matter what clear statistic command flavour is used, my take is that that command should produce an effect which is independent by user session.

Is that a regression/bug?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Pino2
Occasional Contributor

Ok, but IF I want to clear the statistics not only for that session ?

Giuseppe