4462 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

HP 2910al + 802.1x and web auth

rventura
Frequent Advisor

HP 2910al + 802.1x and web auth

Hello,

I have 6 HP 2910al and i would like to configure port authentication using 802.1x for my domain computers and provide web auth for any guest connecting to our network.

We have 2 "core" switches and 4 "edge" switches. As in any typical setup, the edge switches have 1 connection to each core switch.

After reading the docs about how the authentication works, i am a bit confused. It seems i can configure the core switches to provide authentication to the ports on the edge switches. Then configure the ports on the edge switches to authenticate via the core switches. Did i get this right?

Thanks for any help.

1 REPLY 1
rventura
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP 2910al + 802.1x and web auth

Ok, i missed some deatails.

The core switches have ALL vlans and interfaces. The edge switches have ALL vlans and not interfaces so a client is configured with default gateway of one of the IPs configure in any of the core switches. (since this model does not support VRRP).

This means i cannot configure RADIUS on the edge switches since they have no interfaces.

Basically i would like to know if i can configure the ports on the core switches connecting the edge switches to provide authentication for clients connected on the edge switches without having to configure any IPs in the edge switches.

In the docs there is a section called: "Configuring Switch Ports To Operate As Supplicants for 802.1X Connectinos to Other Switches". It describes that a switch can authenticate to a RADIUS server via another switch, however, it doesnt mention anything about any of the other ports on the switch configured as a supplicant...

Any ideas?

Thanks.