4485 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

HP 2920 ProCurve Switch - Cannot ping google, yahoo from switch

StrategicLynk
Occasional Visitor

HP 2920 ProCurve Switch - Cannot ping google, yahoo from switch

Switch sees to work properly.

I can surf with web when connected to the switch but I am unable to ping google from the hp 2920 switch.

Please help

I'm new to this.   Am I missing something

HP-2920-48G-POE+# show config

Startup configuration: 4

; J9729A Configuration Editor; Created on release #WB.15.12.0015
; Ver #05:18.41.ff.35.0d:9b

hostname "HP-2920-48G-POE+"
module 1 type j9729a
ip dns server-address priority 1 8.8.8.8
ip dns server-address priority 2 192.168.1.100
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.100
snmp-server community "public" unrestricted
oobm
ip address dhcp-bootp
exit
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged 1-11,13,15-48,A1-A2,B1-B2
tagged 12,14
ip address dhcp-bootp
exit

2 REPLIES 2
JoshQ
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP 2920 ProCurve Switch - Cannot ping google, yahoo from switch

Are you trying to ping an IP or something like www.google.com from the switch?

Also, are you using this swtich as your router? The ip routes make me think you are. What is the network topology like?

Well, third edit after looking at your config. Your ip routes might be the issue. What IP is your router? On my 2920 access switch I have no IP routes, I just have a default gateway entry that points to my core switch, then my core switch has 1 ip route to my firewall. Your IP routes on here look like there are two routes to the internet and that might be confusing the 2920 as to where to go. It may be using those as the route out to the internet.

I don't want to say remove them without knowing your topology, but if you are feeling brave, try only having one ip route that is your router. You don't need routes to your DNS servers, your switch will ask your router how to get to them.

If your topology is what I think it is internet - modem/router combo - 2920 - clients then you need to remove your IP routes and change that to a default gateway. Your router will have the ip routes and why your clients work is probably because you have their default gateway as .1. So try removing your ip routes on the switch if the above didn't work and put in ip default-gateway *IP of your router*

JoshQ
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP 2920 ProCurve Switch - Cannot ping google, yahoo from switch

I also need to highly suggest that you assign a static IP to your switch. You don't want to have to go digging around for an IP when you can't find your console cable and need to connect to the switch to fix an issue.