Aruba & ProVision-based
1752790 Members
6119 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 2920 series - Port Mirroring (SPAN)

Marc_D
Occasional Contributor

HP 2920 series - Port Mirroring (SPAN)

Looking to enable multiple mirrored ports on a 2920, where port traffic is monitored and mirrored (SPAN) to other ports on the same switch.

Been able to enable 1 mirrored port but, that's it. Does anyone know if the J9726A supports 2+ mirrored ports and if so, how to configure those?

Documentation is somewhat ambigous on the subject or I'm missing something...

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Cheers,

Marc

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Chrisd131313
Trusted Contributor

Hi Marc,

It is more than likely that it is limited to 1 mirrored port on the 2920 switches. I don't have one to check against, but if you are able to assign multiple mirrored ports you would be able to see it listed when you perform "mirror ?" or "mirror-port ?" on the console, this is the output from a 5400zl Chassis (K class firmware)  & 3800 series (also K class) which allows 4 seperate mirrored sessions...

SWITCH(config)# mirror
 endpoint              Remote mirroring destination configuration.
 <1-4>                 Mirror destination number.

and here's the output from a 2620 (RA class firmware) switch that only allows the one...

SWITCH(config)# mirror-port
 [ethernet] PORT-NUM   Define the mirror port for diagnostic purposes.

So I think you can say that if your WB class firmware gives you the mirror-port option cmd then I thin you are limited to 1 mirror port.

Someone else who uses the 2920 series might well be able to confirm this.

HTH

-----------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to mark a post resolved if your question was answered.
Marc_D
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply and pointers.

After speaking to HP tech support, they have confirmed that the 2920 series only supports 1 mirror port.

I'm surprised they did not mention the 3800 series after I told them what I needed. They pointed me instead to the 5800.

Cheers,

Marc
Marc_D
Occasional Contributor

Other than the 3800 and 5800 series, does anyone know if there are any less expensive and stackable Layer 2 10/100/1000 (on all ports) switches, that support SPAN port mirroring on multiple ports?

x0r
Occasional Visitor

I would love to know if anyone can confirm the 2910al-48-poe's can also support 1 remote mirror port being pushed off somewhere? I'd love to get some detailed config settings to implenment that... as most who have looked know.. the docs are a little lacking in this area.

Combined with the dead hp urls that are floating around on google, its enough to drive one deep into madness =)

Appricate any followup! 

thanks,

Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Hello.  Remote mirroring is not support on 2910 either, unfortunately.  Only local port mirroring is supported.  You need a 3800 and higher to do that.  The "Management and Config Guide" is where you would find more info for that feature.

Sorry about the dead URLs, I'll pass your observation on to the docs folks.