108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 5406 zl2 connected to Juniper ISP switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
DavidLPS
Occasional Visitor

HP 5406 zl2 connected to Juniper ISP switch

When the Juniper reboots, the copper port does not always "connect".  The spanning-tree state for the interface is disabled.  If I configure a new port with all the same setting and move the connection there, it connects.

Port Settings (show run interface A8):

interface A8
   name "Internet"
   untagged vlan 229
   lldp admin-status disable
   spanning-tree admin-edge-port
   spanning-tree bpdu-filter pvst-filter
   exit

The lldp admin-status disable prevents neighbour messages from being sent or received.  The spanning-tree admin-edge-port should cause the port to start forwarding immediately with no STP "listening".  The filters should prevent the receiving of spanning-tree info from the Juniper.

We have 2 ports connected to their Juniper.  We had to power events that caused only the providers Juniper to reboot (our UPS is larger.  They will replace their UPS soon).  The first time the event log shows:

(In Time order)

5/31/2018, 5:15:38 PM    port A1 is now off-line

5/31/2018, 5:15:39 PM    port A8 is now off-line

5/31/2018, 5:19:08 PM    port A1 is Blocked by STP

5/31/2018, 5:19:08 PM    port A1 is now on-line

5/31/2018, 5:19:10 PM    port A8 is Blocked by STP

5/31/2018, 5:19:10 PM    port A8 is now on-line

I tested at 5:30pm and all is good.  The next power events:

6/1/2018, 5:29:17 AM    port A1 is now off-line

6/1/2018, 5:29:18 AM    port A8 is now off-line

6/1/2018, 5:32:41 AM    port A1 is Blocked by STP

6/1/2018, 5:32:41 AM    port A1 is now on-line

No message about A8.  I tried a disable/enable and unplugging the transciever, nothing.  Configured A3 to match A8 and moved the transceiver there, all is good.

Another piece of information, the copper transciever is a generic copper transceiver.

I am updating the firmware on the 5406 and recabling to make sure there is a HPE/Aruba Transceiver in that port.

Anyone have any other ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

You are filtering out incoming BPDUs, but you will still send them - what is the Juniper saying?

DavidLPS
Occasional Visitor

How do I stop the sending of BPDUs?

The Juniper is our ISP.  I cannot see what is on their side.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Sorry, BPDU-filter will stop sending as well as receiving.

When it is "down", try playing with the speed/duplex, see if that makes a difference.

You really need to get a look at the Juniper switchport config as well as the logs to rule out simple things before worrying about possible hardware problems at your end.

DavidLPS
Occasional Visitor
Solution

What we ended up doing is replacing the Generic Copper SFP and replacing it with a HPE branded Copper SFP.

I also traced the providers power cables and found that they had not plugged either into any UPS.  There are 2 in the rack, now each has a plug of the Juniper.

We will see what this does.