3752 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 5406ZL switch Q's..

Rubzter
Occasional Contributor

HP 5406ZL switch Q's..

Hi..

Need to implement some connectivity for an IP enabled SAN to be used with our vSphere enviroment. I might have got an 5406ZL at hand, therefore I'm trying to figure out if this box can be used by adding needed modules.. What needs to be connected is:
8x ESX hosts (Each with 2x 1Gb NICs dedicated for storage traffic)
8x Physical Windows boxes  (Each with 2x 1Gb NICs dedicated for storage traffic)
1x storage array with 4x 10Gbit SFP ports

For this I have some questions:

- Can an ekstra management module be added to the 5406ZL or is an additional box needed if wanting redundancy on that level? If an additional box is needed, do I then need a preminum license if wanted to configure ditributed trunking across the two?

- What modules do I need for 10GBit? Ìve been lookin at J9548A which seems to combine 1Gbit and 10Gbit connections for my need, but cant figure out if all ports can be used at the same time?

Thanks in advance..

Regards

Kim Rubeck

1 REPLY 1
Patrick R
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP 5406ZL switch Q's..

Under the accessories tab on the page bellow you will find the modules available. The ports can be used at the same time, but if you dont want to take the risk you can separate them (1gb &  10gb).  depending on how many 10gb ports you need

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/products/switches/HP_E5400_zl_Switch_Series/index.aspx