1753455 Members
6122 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP E3800 VLAN issues

Usaia Tawakevou
Valued Contributor

HP E3800 VLAN issues

Got two new HP 3800-48G-4SFP+ Switch (J9576A) stacked and currently used for inter-vlan routing and core routing. We also have a HP4204vl operating on L2 hosting our WAN router(Cisco 2800), Riverbed optimisation equipment, firewall, internet router and a wireless site.We also have 2 Cisco 3750 stacked hosting our ESX and storage operating on L2.

Got a couple of VLAN's some routed from the HP3800 others from firewall and one used to bridge the LAN and WAN port of the riverbed optimization equipment.All the VLAN's are tagged to uplinks of each switch.

The HP4204vl got 4 ports trunked and connects to the Cisco 3750 and 2 ports trunked connected to the the HP E3800.

We have got a couple of servers now hosted on our E3800 switches and some on the ESX environment hosted on the Cisco 3750 and all working fine

Our plan is to eliminate the HP4204vl and connect the Cisco 3750 directly to the HP3800, which means I need to rellocate the WAN router(Cisco 2800), riverbed optimisation equipment, firewall,internet router and the wireless WAN site to be connected to the HP E3800.

Been trying this for last couple of days without success.For some reason this new L3 switch doesnтАЩt allow broadcast to the non routed VLAN even though I connect the physical connections to the right untagged ports and tagged ports. All these VLAN's a statically configured and tagged on the uplink ports of all the 3 switches.

Any help will be grately appreciated. Can send diagram as well if needed

7 REPLIES 7
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP E3800 VLAN issues

I don't know about anyone else, but diagrams and switch configs would help me understand your problem a lot better...
Regards,
Paul
Usaia Tawakevou
Valued Contributor

Thank you Paul. Been eagerly awaiting for someone to reply. Anyway, attach herewith is the overall diagram and I forgot to mention that we also have vyatta routers doing routing/VPN as well to our HQ. I want to move the following equipments/connections from the HP4204vl to the HPE3800:

* Cisco 2800
* Riverbed Steelhead
* Firewall
* Router that links us to ISP Link 2
* Wireless link (VLAN 121) that link us to WAN site

Vyatta is doing the routing to the HQ via the satllite (VLAN 7) or via WAN site (VLAN 121). Anything for voice or video is routed via stallite vlan (vlan 7). Anything for servers,web etc routed through WAN site (VLAN 121)

I notice something today. I beleive this is due to the switch operating as layer 3. When I log in to the switch it self and traceroute any IP on the VoIP/Video network in HQ it stops at the vyatta - 192.168.0.31. From the router when I traceroute any thing on our server network in HQ it goes through via the the WAN site(VLAN 121).

So my assumption is this, the HPE3800 L3 switch route traffic to HQ voip/video via vlan 2 however it comes back to it via VLAN 7 so that it goes out to the satllite(connected on VLAN 7) and that it the reason why it drops it ? It is seeing trafficgoing out and in again hence it block it. The same will apply if I move the equipments above to be physically connected to the HP L3 switch even if it is connected on the right VLAN's ? If that is the case, is there something that needs to be enabled on the switch to allow this traffic to go through ?

Usaia Tawakevou
Valued Contributor

Any helpers out there ?

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

It sounds to me like you've got some asymmetric routing happening. Please post your configs for the 4200 and the 3800 and indicate which ports you intend to move.
Regards,
Paul
Usaia Tawakevou
Valued Contributor

Configuration attach herewith. The following ports on the HP4204vl is to be relocated to E3800:

A2,A3,A4,A5,A7,A10,A12,A22,A23

On E3800 the above connection to beconnected on:

2/45,2/46,2/44,2/39,2/43,2/42,2/47,2/41,2/40

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Usaia, sorry i haven't had any more time to look at this.  I'm pretty busy at the moment.  I'll get back to the forums and look through your configs as soon as i can.

Regards,

Regards,
Paul
Usaia Tawakevou
Valued Contributor

Noted with thanks