Aruba & ProVision-based
1748183 Members
3394 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ProCurve 2848 crashing with Fault Led when Netgear R7000 Wireless router connected

SOLVED
Go to solution
AlmightyOne
Advisor

HP ProCurve 2848 crashing with Fault Led when Netgear R7000 Wireless router connected

I have a HP ProCurve 2848 that seems to hang randomly (could be minutes, hours, one day or a few weeks) whenever the Netgear R7000 Wireless Router is connected from the LAN side of the router to the switch using CAT6 cable.  It is not the cable.  Basically I have tried to do a factory reset and even without a configuration, the 2848 would hang with the Fault LED.   Unplugging power and replugging power will still show the fault LED without even doing the Power On Self Test.  The only way to get the switch to clear the Fault LED is by pressing down reset button and release, then hold down clear until the fault led goes out and it will reboot.  Is there another way to reboot the switch from the switch itself?   So basically the switch will go immediately to fault LED after reboot or it will work for 30 minutes or an hour or 24 hours or a few weeks and then it will go back into the fault LED as the time will be random.  The Netgear is configured as 192.168.2.1/24 on the LAN side.  If the Netgear is not connected to the switch which is basiclaly unplugging the cable, then the switch will work fine assuming I reboot the switch.   Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot this and find out exactly what is causing it?  I remember when I tried this about 2 years ago without doing any configuration, the Netgear would be the one that hangs up solid but now it seems to be the 2848 instead.  Thanks in advance for any help! 

4 REPLIES 4
AlmightyOne
Advisor

Re: HP ProCurve 2848 crashing with Fault Led when Netgear R7000 Wireless router connected

I'm trying to troubleshoot what is causing it and I do have my console connected by serial cable so it's monitoring com port 5, 115,200kbps, 8/N/1, Xon/Xoff so it would be great if someone can point me in the right direction on what I need to do on the console so I can see what it doesn't like.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Are you able to share the details of the interface configurations for both interfaces involved in this connection?

AlmightyOne
Advisor

It's not the configuration because even if I completely factory reset and use it without configuring, it still happens.

AlmightyOne
Advisor
Solution

I took the switch out of service on March 16, 2016 and finally called HPE Support two days ago and they shipped a new replacement 2848 which doesn't have the problem so it was probably the capacitors as my original is actually from 2003.