108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ProCurve Managed Switches

jakubp
Visitor

HP ProCurve Managed Switches

Hi All,

I hope you are all well!

This is my first post on this forum, therefore please accept my apologies if it doesn't meet your standards.

We are looking into upgrading our networking rack at the moment and I need to pick a few (possibly 2-3) 48 port managed network switches.

Those switches would be really just for end users and servers, running multiple vLANs and that's pretty much it at the moment.

Since we have had a great adventure with HP ProCurve products and they offer life time warranty, we would like to get some more HP ProCurves.

Like I said earlier, they need to be:

- 10/100/1000
- 48 ports
- 2-4 SFP 10GB ports for backbone or future expansion

It would be great if they could also provide PoE and be stackable however it is not necessary.

We are looking to spend £400-£500 per switch as they would be second hand.

I have found a lot of different modules like:

J9775A HP 2530-48G Switch J9775A
J9022A E2810-48G 48 port Gigabit Switch + 4 x SFP

My question is, what are your opinions guys? What would you recommend? Would you go for any other model perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I think you should hold out for 2920s so you can have proper stacking switches with all the features you need that will last you for a good long while.

2530s and 2810s aren't going to have the same kind of longevity as 2920s, and they certainly don't have the features.

BTownsend
Occasional Advisor

I'm pretty sure the 2530's do not have 10Gbe Fibre, but as far as the switch goes I have not had a problem with them I have around 25 of them running on my network as edge switches. They do have 4 x Fibre ports so you can always trunk your ports.

have a look at the HP Procurve switch selector.

http://pro-networking-h17007.external.hp.com/au/en/products/switches/selector/index.aspx

An Eye for Eye will only make the whole world go blind ;-)

jakubp
Visitor

Hi there,

Thank you for your replies! I apperciate it.

It would be great to go with 2920's however they cost roughly 800 GBP at least per switch as we are looking at 48 port switch, so it is a bit too much unfortunately. We plan to spend about 400-500 per switch.

Are there any other switches apart from 2530 and 2810s which you would recommend? If not, which one of those two would you go with? I assume that BTownsend would go with 2530..

In my understanding, fibre port is automatically running at 10 Gbe, however I can see now that there are different speeds like 100, 1000, 10000 or 40000 from the website you shared with me. Is that correct? Would the 2530 have 1000 fibre link then?

What would be the benefit of using fibre on 1GBe port if you can use Cat5E or Cat6?

Best Regards,

Jakub

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I've used 2810s - you can add 2 modules in the back of them, each module giving you 2x 10Gb fibre ports.

There are some 2530 models with 2x 10Gb fibre ports. I haven't used them, but I have seen them in operation and people seem to like them.

I would guess that a 2530 would be better than a 2810, but I haven't directly compared them.

Unfortunately neither of these switches stack, which is a big deal for me if I'm dealing with  more than about 20 access ports in a single location.

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

HP 3500yl (HP renew/used) with HP lifetime warranty left

HP E4800 (no Procurve, but lifetime warranty and full layer 3 features - still too expensive nowadays)

Look at ebay for both, 10Gbe+stacking modules for them are rather expensive, though.

henca
Advisor

The HP switch selector seems like a very nice tool when it comes  to choose between switches with different features. However, it seems as if some models are missing in that tool that might be interesting for you.

The HP 3800-48G-PoE+-4SFP+ Switch (J9574A) seems to have most of your wanted features, 48 1G-ports with PoE, 4 SFP+ ports and probably within your budget.

That said, I don't know how the 3800 compares to the other mentioned switches in this thread. I have two 24 port 3800 switches myself and they work fine, I have only found a minor lldp related problem with the switches.

regards Henrik