Aruba & ProVision-based
1752571 Members
5115 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Procurve 2910 Setup and Configuration.........

mischamj
Occasional Visitor

HP Procurve 2910 Setup and Configuration.........

Hello,

coming from a Cisco environment and being new to HP Networking I'm just looking for some general advice to setup and connect my brand new 5 HP 2910 switches.......

For a costumer we just bought:

3 x Procurve 2910 24 Ports
2 x Procurve 2910 48 Ports

Their offices are spread over two floors in the same building. On the ground floor there is a central server room and offices with more or less 30 users. On the first floor there are several departments/offices, with 20 more or less users. This costumer currently has 3 switches in the central server room and 2 switches on the first floor. These switches need to be replaced with the HP Procurves. Another challenge is the fact that we have to implement at least 3 VLANS to separate the different departments. To be able to get VLANS up and running first of all we have to change the firewall... 

The basic idea is to:

* use 1 x Procurve 2910 24 ports as a CoreSwitch in the central server room.
* use 2 x Procurve 2910 48 ports in the central server room.
* use 2 x Procurve 2910 24 ports on the first floor.
* connect the new firewall to Port 1 on the CoreSwitch.  
* connect all the switches directly to the CoreSwitch and from there we will start to configure the necessary VLANS... 

I am just wondering if this is the best way to set this up or  should I change something in this configuration? Also... Does somebody has any advice in setting up the VLANS in this configuration?? 

Looking forward for suggestions.....

Best regards.
1 REPLY 1
Helper
Valued Contributor

Re: HP Procurve 2910 Setup and Configuration.........

Hi,

Is you post is the next step after this one ?

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/E-Series/connecting-switches/td-p/2350299

Regarding your description it should be correct. Vlan configuration need more description if you want some advice.

Bye.