7886 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Procurve switch upgrade from 2424 J4813A to 2510-24 J9019B

DmitriA
Occasional Contributor

HP Procurve switch upgrade from 2424 J4813A to 2510-24 J9019B

Hello,

Our IT management decided to replace old switches 2424 J4813A with model 2510-24 J9019B.

I am quite new to HP Procurve switches networking so I am quite confused how properly to do a replacement. 

Can anybody advice me some urgent steps that should have done before replacement from old to new one?

Another question concerning configuration file from old switch. Is it possible to configurate some how automatically or should the new one to be configured manually?

The last point is, that nobody knows the passwords to the old swtiches :) 

Thanks!

Dmitri

1 REPLY 1
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Re: HP Procurve switch upgrade from 2424 J4813A to 2510-24 J9019B

Privet Dmitri,

J4813A is actually 2524 not 2424.

Starting with the last point - the 2524 and 2510 doesnt have default passwords. If no one configured a password you can login directly. If some one configured a password but you dont know it, just press the clear button on the front pannel for at least 1 second and all passwords will be deleted (the switch wont reboot and the rest of the config will not be reset).

I am afraid it wont be possible to transfer directly the whole config from a 2524 to a 2510 because this are different plattforms.

The config files of the switches are generally very short and clear. You will be able to identify what are the differences between the config of the switches and what should be configured on the new switch.

Sometimes it is possible to copy config lines from the old device and paste them in the config mode of the new switch but it wont work always because the switches may have differences in the features and commands. This wont work with passwords and SSH&SSL keys because they are not stored in the config.

And it is always good to be aware what exactly are you doing be configuring certain features.

If you will need to install many 2510 and they should have the same config, then you can import one config that was manually created on one switch to the rest of the switches. Please check in this manual appendix A FIle Transfers-->Transferring Switch Configuration

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay_ws_BI&spf_p.rid_kbDocDisplay=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.rst_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02563820-3%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Please note that the 2510 switch can generally work out of the box even without any configuration (like unmanaged switch). If you have a DHCP server it will obtain an IP from DHCP so you can use it for the initial configuration.

If you dont have a DHCP server, you will need to establish a console connection. If you are not familiar with the CLI syntax and dont wont to study manuals, you can simply exacute the "setup" command. You will be presented with an intuitive config menu where you can enter IP address, default gateway and other settings.

Make sure that you install the latest firmware on the new switch before deploying it

https://h10145.www1.hp.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=J9019B

If you are using fiber optic connections then you will need to purchase new GBIC transceivers because the transceivers supported by the 2524 are not compatible with 2510. This switch supports only HP genuine transceivers.

If you need information about specific feature you can find a collection of manuals for the 2510 switch series here.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/manualsResults/?sp4ts.oid=3356807&spf_p.tpst=psiContentResults&spf_p.prp_psiContentResults=wsrp-navigationalState%3Daction%253Dmanualslist%257Ccontentid%253DUser-Guide-%252528how-to-use%252529%257Clang%253Den&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

I cannot think of other things at the moment. I hope this helps somehow.

If you have time check the manuals. If you are familiar with the config of the 2524 there should be no big differences.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo