5607 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE 2920 SFP+ DAC Compatibility

fmuecher
Occasional Advisor

HPE 2920 SFP+ DAC Compatibility

Hello,

a HPE 2920 switch (J9729A ) with software revision WB.15.17.0009 gives me a "Transceiver type not supported in this port" when I connect a DL380 Gen8 with a 560SFP+ NIC using a HPE X242 3m SFP+ DAC (J9283B).

Output from "show tech transceivers":

Port # | Type | Prod # | Serial # | Part #
-------+-----------+------------+------------------+----------
A1 | SFP+SR | J9150A | MY62FFD12A | 1990-4175
A2 | ?? | ?? | unsupported |

Is this a firmware issue or do I have a defective cable?
In another thread there was the suggestion to reboot the switch after connecting the cable. Is this really the solution? Wouldn't want to bother the customer unless it is necessary.

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi, was the HPE X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable (J9283B) connected directly into one of the two ports provided by the Aruba 2920 2-port 10GbE SFP+ Module (J9731A) installed into one of the two 10G Expansion Module slots available on the Aruba 2920's rear side?

Front ports are SFP, not SFP+.

If so...then is the HPE X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable (J9283B) a genuine HPE/Aruba part?

If not (non genuine) the only way to make it (possibly) work is to use the recently introduced (with WB.16.02) feature that allows unsupported transceivers (and unsupported DAC cables too) through the allow-unsupported-transceiver command, without a explicit guarantee that all third-party transceivers will then work.

As far as I know, all Aruba 2920 software versions support J9283B (via J9731A), reference here.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
fmuecher
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the cable is a genuine HPE product. Yes, I've attached it to the expansion module on the back (see the tech output: the J9150A GBIC is working). 

I am going to try a firmware upgrade, but since it's purely original components that are all listed as compatible I'm suspecting a defective cable. I've opened a support case in the meantime, let's see what they propose.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Oh...my bad for not seeing you were yet using A1/A2 ports (rear Slot 1).

I don't know if you already did some tests but...what if you swap the J9151A SFP Transceiver with the DAC Cable from A1 to A2? will the actual issue on A2 port follow the DAC Cable on A1 port or not? also...another possible test to do would be to move the J9151A SFP Transceiver on a front SFP port to free the 10G Expansion Module and so test the DAC Cable alone on both A1/A2 ports.

If a Firmware update and/or a Switch reboot doesn't fix your issue maybe the DAC Cable could be the real culprit.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner