New Discussion

Re: Hp OfficeConnect 1950 Admin password reset

SOLVED
Go to solution
Calhoun
Occasional Contributor

HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Admin password reset

Hello,

We have a HPE officeconnect 1950 Series switch and need to reset the admin password. 

Does anyone know the steps to do this? we don't currently have a working login to the switch and would like to reset it without performing a total switch reset.

can we do it via the console cable?

Thank you

Joseph

4 REPLIES 4
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hello!

There is a procedure, but it requires unlocking CLI in 1950. You can contact HPE Support for the CLI unlock password. When you obtain it, this should help:

1. reboot, Ctrl+D, option 4, Ctrl+B
2. Option 7 - Skip Current System Configuration
3. Option 0 - Reboot
4. Unlock CLI (special unlock password should be used. This is an exception process.)
5. Enter following commands:

system-view
configuration replace file startup.cfg
#Current configuration will be lost, save current configuration? [Y/N]: N
local-user admin
undo password
return
#
save safely force
reboot

Hope it helps!

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Calhoun
Occasional Contributor

Does the steps you provided save the existing configuration or wipe it out?

Thanks

Ivan_B
HPE Pro
Solution

It will retain the original config. Let me explain its logic in details:

1. reboot, Ctrl+D, option 4, Ctrl+B
2. Option 7 - Skip Current System Configuration
3. Option 0 - Reboot

We set the Bootrom to ignore the "saved-configuraiton" file on the next reboot and load an empty configuration.

4. Unlock CLI (special unlock password should be used. This is an exception process. Never give out the password to the customer, rather assist him on remote session and put the password by yourself)
5. Enter following commands:

system-view
configuration replace file startup.cfg

This command loads the "startup.cfg" (default location of the "saved-configuration") and applies it. This is the tricky part - the old password (the forgottern one) is getting applies too, BUT we are already logged in, so it won't ask us for this password until we log out

#Current configuration will be lost, save current configuration? [Y/N]: N
local-user admin
undo password

This command will delete the current password and will set a default one. This is specific of this platform (1950), on other Comware platforms you would normally set another password here by "password simple <your_new_password>" command, but in 1950 you can just delete the password and it will become default.

return
#
save safely force

! Here we save our new "current-configuration" without password under the context of user 'admin' to the "saved-configuration" file. 

reboot

! When the device reboots, it will load the confif without password and the Web GUI will be accessible with default credentials. All other settings should retain untouched. I recommend you to change the password from the GUI as soon as you log in to the switch.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Calhoun
Occasional Contributor

Ok. thank you. I will schedule a site visit and give it a try.

Thank you

Joe