Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hight availability for an HP ProCurve Switch 5406zl

vmuolo
Occasional Visitor

Hight availability for an HP ProCurve Switch 5406zl

Hi to all 

I try to find an better solution to achieve an Hight Availability for an  Procurve    model 4506zl such as main central internal network switch .  Can to be an some   possible solutions   the  use of LACP/STP  ?  ( with an other same model type switch  ) or have you other suggestions or workaroud to do  this ?  

Thanks also in advance to all 

Vincenzo

4 REPLIES
Highlighted
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Hight availability for an HP ProCurve Switch 5406zl

What do you mean with the words High Availability in your scenario?

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I guess you have 2 options:
1/ On the latest 5406 switches, you can "stack" them as a single virtual switch.

2/ If you're using an older switch, you can configure VRRP so that either chassis can act as the routing "core".

vmuolo
Occasional Visitor

Hi Parnassus

You are agree ... i want to explain better :

(1) We want to use the my old switch and purchase once new .  ( for economics reason )

(2) We want to have  the high availability only for the our central  switch .

To analyze better my question see also as-is and to-be network diagram into attachment file .

So my question is  to understand the better choise to finalyze the  HA ( use of LACP/STP/Dual Stack ?? )  of our central switch  ... ( for i.e. the model of the new switch to link to my "old" ) .......

Thanks also in advance

Vincenzo

Simon_K
Occasional Advisor

Hi Vincenzo,

in my opnion it is possible with "distributed trunking" if you buy a second 5406zl and configure InterSwitch-Connect between your two 5406zl.  You must buy the same Model to use this feature, but I don't know the module or firmware minimum configuration. I think, your have to ask you HPE representative or anyone here can answer this.