4223 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to access HP Procurve 2610 to change IP info

benpowis
Occasional Contributor

How to access HP Procurve 2610 to change IP info

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and wondering if someone can help me. We've just switched Internet Service Providers and the new guys have hooked up our new leased line at our office and issued us with our new IP information but have stopped short of helping us set up our HP Procurve 2610 switch to actually work with the new line. Can anyone help me with how I would go about accessing the swtich to input the necessary information? We run on Macs at the office so any kind of menu system (like the console interface display) would be great but I'm not sure how I would go about getting to it so we can swithc over the IP info.

Any help anyone could give me would be great, we get our old service terminated soon and I'm kinda freaking out.

Cheers,

Ben

5 REPLIES 5
jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

ProCurves will try to get an IP address from DHCP by default, so check the DHCP Server to see if there are any leases with your 2610's MAC. If not, please use the Console Port to access the switch. For that you will need a Serial Console cable (usually RJ-45 to DE-9) that normally comes with the switch, and possibly a USB-to-Serial Adapter if your PC does not have a DE-9 port.

Telnet is running by default with no username and password for the CLI, and you should be able to access the menu interface with "menu" command.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
benpowis
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Thank you so much for your quick response.

How would we go about checking the DHCP server to see if there are any leases with our 2610s MAC?

It seems that with our 2610 there is no connection point for a serial cable, but there is a 'console' slot for an ethernet cable. And is it possible for us to access the menu system via terminal on mac osx? Or are we definitely going to be needing to be doing this on a windows computer?

Many thanks,

Ben

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@benpowis wrote: It seems that with our 2610 there is no connection point for a serial cable, but there is a 'console' slot for an ethernet cable. And is it possible for us to access the menu system via terminal on mac osx?

Yes, you can access the Serial Console of your HP ProCurve 2610 from an Apple computer (running Mac OS X or MacOS)...provided that you have the correct Serial Cable terminating with an RJ45 connector (it's not an Ethernet Cable)...and probably you will need a USB-to-Serial (RJ45) cable considering that Apple hasn't a RS.232C Serial Connector...then you would use any Console application (like PuTTY or similar tools) to perform the connection to your Switch's console.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
benpowis
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

All good! Looks like our new ISP hadn't configured their routers properly, they flicked a switch on their end and it all started working properly. The only issue we've run into now is that it seems that we are only getting speeds of 100Mbps up and down coming through the switch (we plugged a laptop straight into the LAN port of the router and got 200Mbps up and down which is the service we are paying for) so we reckon that there must be some kind of bottleneck happening at the network switch point of things. Any ideas what might be causing that and how we could rectify it? We've got ourselves a console cable now so we can plug into the switch and use PuTTy to access it now.

Cheers!

Ben

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Bottlenecks?

AFAIK the (now old) HP ProCurve 2610 is a 10/100 Mbps Switch series...with, at best, two RJ45 1 Gbps ports (1000Base-T) on the front far right (just above the two SFP - mini-GBIC - slots)...so if you didn't use one of those two ports you're pretty much limited to its natural 100 Mbps (200 Mbps full-duplex) ports speed.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner