Aruba & ProVision-based
1753735 Members
4520 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to add manufacture Mac Address OUI into Provision switches?

SOLVED
Go to solution
M1xed0S
Occasional Advisor

How to add manufacture Mac Address OUI into Provision switches?

I am just wondering if Provision allow you to add specific Mac OUI to work with ip phones? In Comware, it is easy but I have not found any documentation for Provision switches yet.

Please advise.

9 REPLIES 9
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't think they do, however they seem to be adding lots of Comware stuff into Provision so it may appear one day.

M1xed0S
Occasional Advisor

How does hp suggest to use the provision switch with non-lldp-med phone? Manually set the vlan on phone? It is doable if only small amount of phones. What about Poe power negotiation with phone?
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

You would assign the Voice VLAN using a DHCP vendor option. The vendor option is required in any case to give the phone its gateway to register to, so this is in fact the most common way of doing it in my experience, although people are starting to use LLDP a lot more nowadays.

PoE negotiation is a completely seperate issue, to my mind, and is negotiated using the usual IEEE standard.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

In fact, assigning the Voice VLAN by LLDP could be seen as a bit of an unnecessary step, considering it has to receive its configuration from DHCP anyway.

M1xed0S
Occasional Advisor

Not sure I would agree with you. DHCP Option will be used for assigning provision server, tftp or http. but I do not believe it will be able to assign VLAN.

Maybe I have not done enough deployment, there are only 2 options to assigning VLANs to voice traffic for phones: LLDP-MED/CDP and Manually configure each phone.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Using the DHCP option to assign the Voice VLAN ID is in fact the most common method I've seen used.

For example, with Avaya phones you will send back Option 176 containing the following data:
тАЬmcipadd=10.1.1.100,mcport=1719,tftpsrvr=10.1.1.105,l2q=1,l2qvlan=200тА│

With Mitel, you use Option 43 containing:
"id:ipphone.mitel.com;sw_tftp=10.1.1.105;call_srv=10 .1.1.100;vlan=200;I2p=6;dscp=46"

And so forth.

M1xed0S
Occasional Advisor

I guess I just havenot deployed enough indeed.

The dhcp vendor option is indeed vendor specific and I guess phone will get rebooted once have the dhcp info...

To me lldp is just much better for efficiency and simple setup. Plus it is universal.
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I don't know about efficiency - your choice is,

- configure one vendor option per scope 

OR

- configure LLDP on every switchport on every switch

AND

configure the vendor option anyway because you need to serve up the tftp server details

The phone shouldn't be rebooting too often anyway, and the soft-reboot probably adds less than 30s to the startup time which shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I used to find a lot of resistance to using LLDP when I was deploying Nortel switches, because configuring LLDP on them involved adding a fair bunch of config. LLDP on HP switches involves far less work so maybe more people will choose to use it. I did a pilot two weeks ago and they were happy to configure LLDP on the pilot switch, but they may not bother when it comes to the full roll-out.

M1xed0S
Occasional Advisor

Cool and thanks for the info. I got your point.