Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect SFP J4859C in SM?

Mārtiņš
Frequent Visitor

How to connect SFP J4859C in SM?

Hello!

I'm little bit stuck in testing SFP modules J4859C, so I can't get my switches Aruba 2920-24G and Aruba 2530-8G connected over single mode fiber. I was unable to find how to correctly set up patch cords to SFP module, so I tried to test combinations by changing single fiber on single side one by one and vice versa but it does not work :). What should be the right pinout for this module in single mode set up?

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: How to connect SFP J4859C in SM?

Can you test directly using just only a single LC/LC fiber optic Patch Cord beetwen SW1 and SW2?
Generally it is sufficient to cross the patch cord (LC1 Tx -> LC2 Rx and LC1 Rx <- LC2 Tx)...or, in case of fiber optic distribution cabling, cross just one side of the uplink.
Mārtiņš
Frequent Visitor

So you mean it should work in setup like in attached picture?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Where is the other lead? (I mean: shown there is only one lead - Tx to Rx or the other - not two).
Mārtiņš
Frequent Visitor

Ok, got the idea, will get another one patch and test it in that way :). Thanks in advance, 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Pay attention that you can have a fiber optic distribution system (Fiber Optic Cables interconnecting Fiber Optic Patch Panels) that is partially or totally:

• Straight (Tx connector on one end is connected to Tx connector on the other end and vice-versa)
  • Crossed (Tx connector on one end is connected to Rx connector on the other end and vice-versa)

So when you interconnect two Transceivers through a fiber optic distribution system you should know if you need to cross the Fiber Optic Patch Cable Tx/Rx into Rx/Tx (in case of Straight) or not (in case of Crossed) in just one end.

A complication sums up when using specifically a LC<-->LC Fiber Optic Patch Cable: since LC connectors (differently from SC/ST styled connectors) can't be "reveresed" on the LC Transceiver or LC Patch Panel ends...you are forced to use a factory crossed LC<-->LC Fiber Optic Patch Cable if you are working with a Straight distribution system (So, as example: LC Transceiver <-- LC/LC Straight Patch Cable --> LC Connector on Patch Panel <-- Straight FO cabling --> LC Connector on Patch Panel <-- LC/LC Crossed Patch Cable --> LC Transceiver).

So when you perform a LC Transceiver to LC Transceiver direct interconnection through a LC<-->LC Fiber Optic Patch Cable...this one should be necessarily already crossed.

With LC<-->SC (or ST) you have more options because the SC (or ST) Tx/Rx ends can be easily crossed if required.