cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to have more than one 1G links between a VLAN on two HP switches

wilson99
Occasional Contributor

How to have more than one 1G links between a VLAN on two HP switches

How to have more than one 1G link between a VLAN on an HP 2810 to the same VLAN ID (untagged) on a separate HP 2530 switch?

I have these two 48 port switches and I have serveral ports on each of the switches configured for a separate SAN-VLAN for my iSCSI datastores and backups separate from my default VLAN for the local network.

Just a small network setup and I currently have a CAT5e cable connected from the SAN_VLAN on one switch to the other so I have connectivity between the two and that's good.

The problem is that it creates a lot of traffic between the two switches when backups are running and the bottleneck is then limited to the bandwidth of the single connection between the two switches so I'm limited.

What I would like to do is double that or more if possible so that their would be more than the one path to increase throghput between the two switches for the SAN_VLAN.

Appreciate any input ....

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: How to have more than one 1G links between a VLAN on two HP switches

You can create an aggregated link between them to give you multiple 1G paths.
Just create a Trk interface on each switch, add the Trk interface to the correct VLAN(s) and put multiple physical ports into it then connect them up.

But from the sound of the traffic you are generating, it probably won't solve your issue, because aggregating multiple interfaces doesn't change the fact that each interface only provides 1Gb of throughput.