Aruba & ProVision-based
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SFP Fiber Optic to connect two Aruba 2030-24 (J9776A)

DmitriA
Occasional Contributor

Installing SFP Fiber Optic to connect two Aruba 2030-24 (J9776A)

Hi all,

I had Single mode fiber optic line put in from one side of building to the other so i can install a Aruba Aruba 2030-24 (J9776A) switch few  hundred feet away. I purchased HP SFP LX J4859C adapters. 

My understanding is that i should just have to plug them in and away they should go... one problem it doesn't light up and it doesn't see the network. I know both switches are functioning.

Both swiches shows: A transceiver was hot-swapped into port.

I feel like i'm missing a basic step.

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Installing SFP Fiber Optic to connect two Aruba 2030-24 (J9776A)

Are you sure that Aruba 2530-24G Switch Series tolerates SFP Transceivers Hot-Swapping?

OK, it seems that Aruba 2530 Switch Series does support SFP Transceivers Hot-Swapping...if so...have you tried with a simple Switch reboot (Switch reboot should not be mandatory because SFP Transceivers Hot-Swapping seems to be supported).

What the show tech transceivers command reports actually?

Are those SFP Transceivers (J4859C) HP genuine?

Did involved SFP Slots were eventually used before (by other Transceivers) or did they were really empty (never used before)?

Read this and download the HPE ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide for YA/YB.16.02 (if your Switches are updated to 16.02 branch, basically valid for older versions too) of September 2016 and read Chapter 3 "Port Status and Configuration". That's a good starting point to understand how to diagnose the status of your Switch ports.

These steps are really preliminary (Switch side) and are somewhat independent by the properties of the Fiber Optic Cable used...so you must verify that your Fiber Optic Cable (Single Mode) is properly installed.

TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

I have also seen a few times that the LC connectors have to be crossed over.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yeah. That's what I mean with "properly installed".

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

If you are going switch to switch, you are expecting a twist and if it isn't there, you will need to separate the two fibres on one end of one LC patch lead and swap them over.
(Or, open the back of the LC patch panel and swap the cores over there. Best to swap them all over if you do this.)

Normally horizontal fibre has no twist. Vertical fibre normally does.