4428 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Inter VLAN routing with Aruba 2930F

JWAdmin
Occasional Contributor

Inter VLAN routing with Aruba 2930F

Hi folks

I'm new to the HP world (and to the Community), and I've recently migrated our company's switches to HP/Aruba.  I've just purchased the 2930F in hopes of using it to route our VLAN traffic versus running everything through our Sophos UTM.  I was reading through the "Inter VLAN Routing Configuration Guide" when I came across this sentence: "Currently, Ethernet is the only media type that supports VLANs."  Am I to take this to mean that I cannot use the SFP fiber ports running to my other closets if I'm using VLANs?  I hope this is not the case, as that would be a major game changer, for I need fiber runs between my closets due to distance.  One of the reasons I went with the HP switches was for the SFP capability.  

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issue.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Inter VLAN routing with Aruba 2930F

JWAdmin wrote: I was reading through the "Inter VLAN Routing Configuration Guide" when I came across this sentence: "Currently, Ethernet is the only media type that supports VLANs."  Am I to take this to mean that I cannot use the SFP fiber ports running to my other closets if I'm using VLANs?

You can (Aren't SFP/SFP+ working - generically speaking - on Ethernet standard? Yes they are).

VLANs are supported on various physical port types (also on logical entity like a Trunk - AKA LAG Link Aggregation Group - which is an aggreation of physical ports)...

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
JWAdmin
Occasional Contributor

Re: Inter VLAN routing with Aruba 2930F

Thanks for the quick reply Parnassus

Regarding your rhetorical question "(Aren't SFP/SFP+ working - generically speaking - on Ethernet standard? Yes they are)", I couldn't have answered that.  Very little knowledge/experience with fiber.  So I greatly appreciate the info.  As such, I will be back at the office tomorrow, and will continue with prepping my 2930F for routing.

Greatly appreciate the help.