Aruba & ProVision-based
1753816 Members
8568 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: InterVLAN routing with PFSense (Trunking between a physical port and a virtual port?)

CFPiazza
Occasional Contributor

InterVLAN routing with PFSense (Trunking between a physical port and a virtual port?)

I can grasp the concept of setting up an interface on a physical Cisco router to have subinterfaces, each with their own subnet IP given as a default gateway to each VLAN on a physical switch, and having a trunking port live between the ports between router and switch. What I have a problem grasping is making that happen between one of our 2810-48g that will be hosting two or three VLANs and a virtual machine running PFSense on a Dell Server running Server 2012R2. I know how to set up VLANs on a PFSense instance, I think I'm just confused on trunking from a physical port on a physical switch to a virtual NIC on a virtual machine... Does that make sense?

1 REPLY 1
luckyh
Advisor

Re: InterVLAN routing with PFSense (Trunking between a physical port and a virtual port?)

I guess you refering to the cisco "router on a stick" concept

On linux / BSD (as your pfSense is) the concept is the same you just create a subinterface on top of your physical one.

ex. eth0.99 will create a vlan 99 tagged subinterface where you can assign an IP inside the according subnet of vlan 99

https://people.freebsd.org/~arved/vlan/vlan_en.html

on linux you might have to additionally install the package vlan or dot1q and test if the kernel module can be loaded

but pfsense already has it