Aruba & ProVision-based
1751969 Members
4648 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is HPE 5406Rzl2 supports 8GB or 16Gbps SFP modules?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Oliver83
Occasional Contributor

We will be trying to connect a san switch and we need to route it eventually to our DR,

which only means that we need to connect the san switch to the coreswitch.

And the san switch that will be procured is a 16gb SFP capable.

We just want to clarify if our current Core Switch is also capable of it.

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Is HPE 5406Rzl2 supports 8GB or 16Gbps SFP modules?

@Oliver83 wrote:

No it doesn't. The Aruba 5406R zl2 Switch series is a Ethernet Local Area Network (LAN) modular switch...not a FibreChannel Storage Area Network (SAN) Switch...so you can't pretend that a FC Transceiver will work once inserted on a SFP Slot!

If you need to go down the LAN/SAN Convergence path...you need to use an Ethernet Switch series that, other than Ethernet, supports FCoE FibreChannel over Ethernet (converged ports)...and I don't think that, using such switch type, you can use in any case a FC at 16 Gbps (I think there is a limit of FC 4/8 Gbps on SFP+ 10 Gbps ports...as it looks obvious at first sight).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Oliver83
Occasional Contributor

Hi parnassus,

Thank you for your response.

May I know if there is a way for us to connect the HP 5406Rzl2 core switch to SAN switch?

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

There isn't.
The only possible interconnection I'm aware of is the one you can eventually setup between an Ethernet port of yourAruba 5406R zl2 and - if it exists (and generally it does) - the Ethernet OoBM (Out of Band Management) port of your SAN Switch...but, as you easily understand, that is just for management purposes...FC and Ethernet are basically two separated worlds (FCoE, OTOH, is a way to let them to converge...but, as written, it requires special Switch series).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Oliver83
Occasional Contributor

Hi parnassus,

Thank you very much for your assistance.